? FIV + kittens

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

So the saga with the neighbors and the feral cat’s kittens continues (see my post in the Off Topic forum for more background info)

The kittens tested positive for FIV. The vet that our neighbor took them to said that most likely they got the FIV antibodies from drinking their mother’s milk, and chances of them actually having FIV is low. Vet told them to retest the kittens in 2 months.

I think they are (understandably so) are finally starting to freak out about unintentionally doubling their cat size, and are actively trying to pawn the one kitten on me. I have many reservations having just lost Frosty and having 3 other pets, but the FIV thing is also a big issue. I just cannot voluntarily take on another possibly sick cat. Not to mention my concerns about possibly passing the virus on to my elderly cats.

They are now asking if I can babysit the kitten over thanksgiving while they are away. Apparently his mom will babysit 2 of the kittens, but not 3. Doesn’t really make sense, but OK. I realize that “babysit” = I am taking the kitten, because lets be real. And they clearly know what they’re doing.

He said not many vets do an FIV PCR test (for virus DNA) and he doesn’t know how much that would cost.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Any advice? Other than put my foot down? LOL.

Thanks in advance.

2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ana. Your answer should be no. Not at this time. Smells of manipulation in any case.

I've seen a cat suffering and then die through FIV. It is not pretty. It is dreadful.

Edit to add:
    Do not take in an un-vaccinated cat or kitten. Please just don't.

They will find a place for this kitten. 3 is as easy as 2.

JanetNJ and FurBabiesMama like this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're concerned they're dumping the kitten on you and you don't want it, put your foot down and say NO

But there's no risk to your other cats from an FIV+ kitten. Most kittens will end up negative and even if they truly do have FIV, the only way it can be transmitted is through a deep puncture bite into muscle where blood is exchanged (and even if this happens, it's still rare to transmit to another cat)

FIV+ cats can live just as long as any other cat as long as they're taken care of. Infections should be treated ASAP (just like any other cat).

https://www.fivcatrescue.org/fiv-myths/

https://www.thecatniptimes.com/learn/the-truth-about-fiv-cats/

4. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

People confuse FIV and FELV. Chris is right about FIV#. My FIV# cat plays with the kittens here and lives a perfectly happy life with the menagerie. He sailed through a full mouth dental extraction and healed just fine. We questioned and questioned the vet about risks to other cats and she said once his gums heal from the dental, we'll be fine.

5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

They may do but not me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.