Flat reading again do I increase dosage .5 again?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marianne M, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

I have increased Mango's Prozinc and today we again have readings today that are flat. As you can see from the SS our Vet increased the Prozinc after curve on 7/10/19 from 2.75 to 3.75. On the curve 7/21/19 Vet said to keep the dosage the same. Days after that the numbers have been horrible. On 7/29/19 the reading were flat and according to the sticky notes for Prozinc I increased dosage .5 unit from 3.75 to 4.25 units. For two days the readings were still high so I decided to increase dosage again .25 units so we are now at 4.5 units. It's not helping to bring down the BG. Today the reading are flat again. I feel like a complete failure as I have no idea where to go from here. I will do a curve for the vet in the next couple of days and did not consult him as he is out of town. I do not understand why on raising the insulin dosage the number are still high?? I am beside myself questioning my direction with Mango's BG. Mango is feeling really good even with the high BG. Tested for Ketones and it's negative. He's gained 1/2 of weigh from our new Vet visit on 6/15/19 when we were switched for Vetsulin to Prozinc. Please help me understand the what and why I am having such a hard time with regulating Mango's BG. I am so lost. :( I need your help. Do I increase dosage again with the flat readings today?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Sometimes, too much insulin can look like not enough. Going up by a whole unit is normally not a good idea. The recommendation is that increases be made in .25 units (in some cases .50 can be appropriate, but not usually more than that). So, one thought is that maybe you have zoomed past the appropriate dose. I looked over the spreadsheet and am confused by some of the dosing changes along the way. One thing I want to mention is that sometimes when you see a wide swing in pre-shot test results where one is really high and the other is low, maybe even too low to safely give the intended dose so you end up reducing or skipping, that can be an indication that the dose is a bit high. Also, if a cat goes lower than their body is used to, it can sometimes cause them to then shoot into higher numbers and run flat for awhile (aka bounce). So, if that comes into play, it can take a few cycles for that to clear, so you have to allow that to happen and let things calm down before making another dose change decision.

3. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

The Vet increased the dosage from 2.75 to 3.75 (one full unit) and I did it in steps so I went from 2.75 to 3.25, 3.50 to 3.75

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I understand, but my point was that the 1 unit increase was too large of an increase. When an increase that large occurs, you don't know if the 'right' dose might have been somewhere in the middle, and it just makes things harder to figure out from there.