? Fluids & meds altering BG. Please read

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Sprocket has had ketones 4x in past 5 weeks. 3 times in hospital. Last time we were able to do fluids at home cause he was still eating.
    *Now his bg is steady yet higher. 3.25 units 2xday lantus.
    *He is on antibiotics but ending in 3 days. Marboflaxocon.
    *He had injection of convenia last Sunday (yes I know its bad but didn't know when he got it). Said UTI but not 100%on infection, could be inflammation.
    *Ursodiol. Denamarin (when I can get him to take, its so big)
    *Cyproheptadine 2xday, famotidine 2x a day.
    *Doing fluids 2x day. 75ml- 100ml this past week to flush ketones n urinary issues.
    *Ear inflammation, possible infection but this better. Had otomax topical for a few days. 1drop each ear 2xday.
    *Low carb fancy feast wet food.
    *tried 2.5u but too low. Tried 3.5 u but he went low.
    No patterns I see on SS
    Could the meds or fluids be raising his bg?
    Or timing?
    What can I do?
    Scared to go back up to 3.5u but is that only choice?
    Would he go too low again?
    I know testing can ward off going to low with food but its high anxiety for both of us.

I have had crash course in diabeties this month and its been insanely hard. I am not worrying about getting him into remission currently.
    I am focusing on getting him healing to just stay steady now to ward off ketones.
    Advice on how to do that?
    Experiences on difficulty like this?

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Too new to advise. But Love the name and he is adorably cute!! Hang in there momma bean.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I would suggest posting on the Lantus forum so folks with expertise in your insulin can help interpret your spreadsheet. Infections can raise BG, so that might be a factor. The light green on 3/31 may have been in part because of the large sudden increase in insulin. The one on 4/6 is more of a mystery to me, but someone who knows Lantus would be better able to help you, I think. They would also be able to guide you through any increases or decreases. It really looks like you're doing a great job with testing!

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks.
    I posted there too and have been daily for almost 2 weeks.
    Its been a long few weeks. Up n down.
    Scary.

Djamila likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It is a complicated thing - especially at first. And adding in the other health issues too. Hang in there! Sending Sprocket healing vines to clear up the ketones, ear infection, and inflammation.

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Don't give up hope! Not only does infection raise bg levels, being sick or in pain can also raise bg numbers. You may not be able to see any consistency until some of Sprocket's other health problems are in control.

7. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks.
    I just wish those other issues were more defined. I am getting "if" or "looks like" from vets with $$$ of bloodwork n care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.