Food & add water question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

How many here add additional water to your cats food? Do just add water or something else like broth, homemade tuna juice, etc

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on your other thread. I add homemade chicken bone broth as well as a little water to the wet food.

3. JeanW

JeanW Member

I add water. The 2 wet foods I'm feeding have 83% and 85% moisture in them. My cats don't like their food to be very soupy.

4. sherrib

I make beef bone broth for myself ( takes 2 days to cook ) I could start adding that I guess.
    I’m researching adding more water to their food because I just had very bad scare that involved tons of blood, suffering, no sleep for 3 days. My baby is on his second day of meds but still has to get more test, ultrasound , etc

5. sherrib

How much water do you add? What food do you use & how many ounces is the can? ( assuming you’re using can food )

JeanW likes this.
  6. JeanW

JeanW Member

I just add a little - I don't know maybe a tablespoon - my cats don't like their food to wet or soupy.

The foods I use are Nature's Logic (https://www.natureslogic.com/) and Nature's Variety Instinct Original Chicken (https://www.naturesvariety.com/). Check against the food list here because some of the Nature's Variety is not low carb though the one I'm feeding is. The cans are 5.5 ounces and they eat maybe a half can - or however much they want.

7. FurBabiesMama

If it contains things like onion, garlic, etc., you would not want to give it to your cat. I make the chicken bone broth (takes 24 hours) without anything added except a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar... no salt, pepper, nothing.

8. Lillie

Lillie Member

I add a tablespoon of water to my cats' wet food every time I feed him, which is several times a day. Even though he's on a diuretic he still doesn't like to drink much water out of a water bowl.

9. Leah

Leah Member

We feed FF pates, and add a full can of water to a full can of food

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I add water to all of the bowls.

11. sherrib

Looks like a lot of people add water, I will do it again. I used to do it but they would not eat it ....
    guess I was adding to much.

Quess I will buying a Instant Pot now and make broth for them. I make it for myself but it takes 2 days to cook in my crockpot, I will be making a different batch for them.

12. sherrib

Skittles still drinks tons of water , his brother NEVER drinks water ( he is not diabetic though )

13. Lillie

Lillie Member

I had to figure out how much water to add. If it was too much it diluted the aroma and taste of the food. If it wasn't enough the food wasn't moist enough for him. It had to be just right. Sigh,--- the things we do for our fur kids.

sherrib and JeanW like this.
  14. FurBabiesMama

After I add the broth and water, I microwave the food for about 20 seconds, then I make sure I stir it well. This makes it very consistent. It just seems like a rich broth/soup rather than water with food in it.

15. sherrib

What kind of broth do you add to the food?

16. FurBabiesMama

Homemade chicken bone broth

17. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

I feed FF pate and add about half a can of water. Once I mix it up, I add a dropper of omega 3 fish oil. Xena loves it. I originally tried to heat up the food, but she didn't like it so it is served at room temperature.

18. sherrib

Does fish oil help w dry skin? My baby looks like he has dandruff .

19. sherrib

I make beef broth from 2 lbs beef soup bones, how much chicken bones do you use?

20. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Xena has dandruff. The vet said it was because she didn’t groom herself when she was diabetic. I found several references for fish oil so I’m giving it a try. It’s hard to say if it works because she is much better overall. However we also give it to out other cats, and his coat is glorious. Here is a link to check out. I think that you have to be mindful of the dose, but it’s worth a shot.
    https://www.petcarerx.com/article/fish-oil-for-dogs-and-cats-the-benefits-of-omega-3-for-pets/601

21. sherrib

I know dry skin can be a side effects of having diabetes so that’s why I think skittles has it. Thank you for the link I’m going to check it out. I am always very very picky about what I give him because he does have diabetes.

22. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

23. FurBabiesMama

I actually use drumsticks. I get a family size pack (size varies). It's just easier for me. I make up enough broth to last a couple/three weeks. I put it in ice cube trays then put the cubes in Ziploc freezer bags. At each meal time, I take out a cube for the next meal and put it in a ceramic cat food bowl in the refrigerator. By the next meal, it is mostly thawed. I just add in the cat food and water, microwave, stir and pour into the bowls they eat out of. Then, repeat!

By the way, you said you make bone broth, so you already know how, but I just thought I would share this link: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx

24. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I add water ALL THE TIME - I'm up to 3.5 tablespoons per feeding, 3 a day ... left overs get more water added. Overnight can food gets 2 tablespoons water per half per bowl. Tons of water, everywhere. I use bone broth I make, tuna water, plain water, if I've found it I've tried it. Dehydration WILL cause dandruff. You can tell if your cat is less dehydrated by how easy their skin is to "tent" - my Fena? It's HARD now, hard to tent I mean. Not like in the beginning. She still has some dandruff but it's SO MUCH LESS than before.. I haven't started to look into oils, etc. yet but it's on my list.

25. sherrib

How do you make your tuna broth? You add 3.5 Tbl per feeding.... how many ounces of food?

26. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooh this is FUN!!! Well, no, it smells horrible but.. yeah.

Go to your grocery - ask them if have and I quote, "de-boned tuna and salmon carcasses" - NOT skeletons, it's different in a lot of places. They might ask you if you want them, say YES - but what you want the most of is the bones.

Okay, short cuts -

1.) The best blend (bones) is tuna and salmon - I don't care what people say, it works SOOOOOO well! - ask the deli butcher in the fish department ("I'd like the carcasses of your tuna and salon, the ones you've cleaned" - (2 full fish if you have them, same or one + the other - all of it) = usually it's that, 1-2lbs or less combined. Bagged, tightly sealed. Depends on what they have...you want at LEAST 2 full carcasses (cover on).

*2.) If you get chicken thighs, SOOO MUCH BETTER - 4 of them, bone in, skin on. See below.

3.) Seasonings - dill, parsley, rosemary.

Once at home:

In a large stock pot with lid) or slow cooker -

a.) drop in the fish bones - which SHOULD include the head, eyes, spine, fins - broken up into pieces if needed. 1-lbs of bones, cover with clear fresh water until 2 inches above the top - 1 tablespoon dill, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 2 lemons cut in half - simmer for 10 hours, low/medium low heat - scoop out the meat pieces, etc into a bowl to blend later. Keep simmering (all the bones, etc) for another 10 hours - easier in a slow cooker (cover on). Add water as needed (no more than 1.5 cups).

b.) extra 4 hours on simmer - cover on (scoop all bones out). Leave clear broth.

c.) Fish bones - softened, can blend if have grinder or Vitamix - with broth from recipe, to smooth - otherwise, get rid of bones.

---can add chicken thighs (10 hours), after a.) take all the meat off, return bones to the pot.

----all chicken meat met with fish meat, bones mixed with fish ones for another 10+ hours added back in (blend or not).

d.) drain - save all liquid, save all meat, bones can blend/grind - if no bones, discard, keep liquid stock with or not meat.

If you need help or have questions, let me know!! Have tons of recipes.

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  27. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

3.5 tablespoons - I do it for EVERYTHING. If I split a 5.5oz can, that's a 2.75oz portion - 3.5 water. FF 3 oz, 3.5 water - for Fena. Because she's getting Miralax, so she needs extra with that, plus in general since she's my diabetic. Mao, gets 1 tblespoon breakfast, lunch, dinner - his leftovers (open to Fena too, 1tbs.5) and overnight (1.5 tbspn) - plus added water depending if I see it, and huge bowl of water.

28. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Dang, what does your house smell like afterwards? Do you open the windows to tease and entice the neighborhood cats? :D

29. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooooh yes, it SMELLS - not quite like the seafood deli in a market but dang close. The added herbs help. I have my bathroom window open (which is off my kitchen), my kitchen window, the fan on the dining room, and my front door cracked open (screen/storm door with it is kept closed) to circulate the smells. But yeah my neighbors foster/care for a lot of strays, and they do end up smelling it so they come around my porch. They did even before Fena got sick and I tried my hand at "cooking" - but now, ugh. LOL.

Thankfully I only need to do this once in awhile, since the end result lasts a long time - maybe once a month or a bit longer? I'm one of those paranoid Mom's who wants to have as many options on hand as possible, if I can do it/get away with it, just in case. I think I have a problem. :oops: But in the end, it helps them when they need it, and it DEFINITELY helps my stress so I can't really complain too much.

Now my problem is entering on my SS all this data I have in my notebook! I never seem to have time to do that AND post.. *sigh* But the numbers are ok, nothing major happening, no big spikes or dips but she's gonna need an adjustment soon as she's seemingly hit a plateau at 2 units Pronzinc, it's not working on her as good as it used to so I'll need to update my SS, make it my priority. I've noticed with Fena slow is the name of the game. :rolleyes:

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.