Food Calculator Provided -- Accurate?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Is anybody familiar with this? I understand these values do not represent the "as fed" values, just wondering if this appears to be high carb? Looking for some options for my non diabetic kitty who is not sold on Raw yet.

Ziwipeak

Venison - ‘Daily-Cat' Cuisine 400g/14oz

INGREDIENTS: Venison - Meat (min. 61.2%), Liver (min. 15%), Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 9.5%), Chicory Syrup, Green-lipped and Blue Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols. Additives: Vit. D3, Vit. E, Copper. Calories 1794 KJ/100g.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Protein (min.) 32% Ash (max.) 11%
    Fat (min.) 26% Fibre (max.) 0.5%
    Moisture (max.) 17%

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: Ziwipeak

From the ingredient list is should be low-carb. The only item in the guaranteed analysis that stood out was the relatively high ash level. Ash is non digestable like minerals. This stuff may be high in phosphorous.

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I've tried both the wet and dry ZiwiPeak. It looks like good stuff based on the ingredient list.

4. Juanita & Chika (GA)

Juanita & Chika (GA) Member

a friend of mine gave us some to try, I only feed it once a week because we try to avoid fish.

chika loooooves it and it has no effect on her numbers.

5. Nicole & Baby

(((thanks, everyone!!))) I have the Venison formula -- I might give it a whirl & see if they both like it! As a treat..

6. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Hello all, I recently found this food "calculator". I can't vouch for its accuracy but it sure can be handy if it works. I checked a few #'s against Binky's list, close but not the same...

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html
    Cat Food Nutrition Calculator
    Based on The Cornell Book of Cats Nutrition Information

Please reply to me with reviews or evaluations of this tool or if you know anything else about it.

Thanks,
    Susan & Lanky

7. Nicole & Baby

(((Thank you)))
    If this food calculator you provided is accurate - then this is amazingly helpful & I appreciate the time you took to share. I just calculated for one of the foods I feed my non diabetic kitty & it came out to only 3.5% carbs - how wonderful it will be if I can feed my diabetic kitty this kind too?

8. Nicole & Baby

Does anyone think this food calculator is good? If so.. I am going to do some more calculations!!

9. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hi Nicole,
    To see if it is any good, compare this "calculating the carbs in canned foods" by Dr, Lisahttp://catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm
    and see if they come out the same. I trust her method and it's not hard, just takes a few times. I actually have made a table so I don't have to calculate it every time. ( i didn't see if the calculator you posted did the extra steps needed to get the right carb contnet) - you let me know?

If that claculator just adds up the other ingredients and gives you the "extra" as carb, it's not right. You need the "Dry Matter Basis" or DMB. You get that from adding the GA's, and a little more math -
    DMB = 100% - (Sum of GA's) divided by: (100% - moisture %)
    (here's an example: lets say you add the GA's and they come out to be...98, you'd think. wow, 2% carb. Wrong. You'd divide that 2 by (100% minus the moisture %, usually 78%) 22% and it is 9.09. ) Quite a difference.

Rmember, the GA's will only give you a ballpark estimate, but I use it on foods that are not on J & B's list. I also have gotten different numbers from the list, but if you look at some of those dates...they are 2,3 or 4 years old. The compnies very well could have changed their recipe. I also have called Purina and gotten a list of every food they have (FF & Friskies), listing carbs content. They very very happy to send it to me. but I had to do the extra math step to get the right carb content, not just what it said added into the GA's.

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The results of the "Calculator" are only as good as how the "as fed" values compare to the guaranteed analysis values. If they are in very close agreement then the calculator values are good. If there are large difference then the calculator values will be off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.