? Food Carb Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shellcat, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

I have Dr.Lisa's food chart, but I don't see any listings for the Walmart Brand/ Special Kitty. Any idea where I can find that information?

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

This is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. There have been enough recalls of Special Kitty cat food that I don't trust the brand at all. I won't feed it to my cats because I don't trust it. Looking at the ingredients of one flavor, Classic Pate Mixed Grill, I see both brewers rice (source of carbs) and carrageenan, which is thought to increase cancer risk in cats.

If you need a less expensive canned food, both Friskies and 9Lives are on the food chart, and a little less expensive than the Fancy Feast.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I feed Special Kitty (Wal-mart brand) canned food to some of the feral cats in my neighborhood. Not diabetic as far as I know, but better that they have something to eat than nothing at all. Large 22 oz cans is why I buy it for the feral cats.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

We feed our ferals (and at least one possum and one raccoon) Meow Mix dry, and Aldi Dry. Yeah, it's not optimal, but it's what we can afford, so I understand the Special Kitty in that instance. We also have a heated water dish for them in the winter.

5. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

I know it's not the best, but I was looking for some definite numbers.

6. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

There's no definite numbers out there. From what I've read, the manufacturer is not very forthcoming with specific information about their product, such as dry ingredient analysis. From my limited math skills, if you avoid the flavors that have obvious carb content, like the brewer's rice, the other flavors seem to be right around 10% calories from carbs. And, like I said, not a mathematician. I would read labels and see if any of the flavors don't have carrageenan, as it is not a good thing.

7. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi there. I'm a bit of a snoop at spreadsheets and noticed you are holding your doses for quite a long time. Just wondering if you were advised to hold for so long? Also, try to get a test in before you go to bed. Since most cats tend to go lower in the pm, you are missing out on some great information if you don't test in the pm.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

I wasn't advised of anything. My vet gave me a diagnosis, free meter and bag of dry food, and a prescription and sent me on my way. I wasn't getting consistent BG numbers so I was apprehensive to change dosing. I'm also in financial trouble and doing my best to keep both Mr. Moonie and myself with a place to live and food in our bellies. So every strip and unit, or half unit, of insulin makes a difference.

9. Deb & Wink

Friskies pates are available in 13 ounce cans.
    Special Kitty (Wal-mart brand only) comes in 22 oz cans, 13 oz cans, 5.5 oz cans. Less expensive in the bigger cans. Sometimes, the local Wal-mart here only has a few of the big cans in stock.

Most of the items are pickup only but some you can order on-line for pickup.
    Let me go calculate a "rough estimate" of the carb content and I'll get back to you.

Sounds like you are "flying on the trapeze with out a net".
    Vet is not in the picture due to your financial situation?

Brainstorming ideas.
    • Food pantry at your local church or in your area.
    • Free or low cost meals at a church or food pantry.
    • Talk to your religious leader be that priest, pastor, mullah or other.
    • Reach out to coworkers.
    • Reach out to social services in your area.
    • Senior center in my town takes food donations for those over age 62. Check with your local town if they have something like that.
    • Reach out to friends and family.
    • Reach out to DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need) if you have not already done that. Not sure what meter they are sending clients right now.
    Tagging @Chris & China (GA) who volunteers with DCIN.

Please, don't be afraid or too proud to reach out to resources in your community.

BRB in a 10-15 minutes with those Special Kitty carb numbers. You feed what you can afford to feed your cat.

Kerri & Tigger likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Another post about the Special Kitty food from about 3 years ago. Do be aware that pet food manufacturers change the ingredients all the time and these figures may not be current. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/special-kitty-wet-food-info.177825/

Took the numbers from that old post and plugged them into a basic carb calculator. Don't know if I did these calculations correctly or not. Basically, you are removing the water content.

Protein % | Fat % | Carbohydrate % | Phosphorous (mg)
    % carbs wet matter basis, % percent carbs dry matter basis
    • Super Supper Dinner ( 5.5 oz) - 11.11% | 7.81% | 0.64% | 0.35 mg
    • 9% wet matter basis, 11% dry matter basis
    • Ground Chicken Tuna Dinner (5.5 oz) - 11.40% | 7.92% | 0.30% | 0.35 mg
    • 8% wet matter basis, 11% dry matter basis
    • Ground Beef Liver Dinner (5.5 oz) - 11.39% | 8.65% | 0.24% | 0.26 mg
    • 6% wet matter basis, 8% dry matter basis
    • Savory Salmon Dinner (5.5 oz) - 12.08% | 9.39% | 0.56% | 0.31 mg
    • 0% wet matter basis, 0% dry matter basis
    • Meaty Turkey & Giblets (5.5 oz) - 11.37% | 8.42% | 0.52% | 0.31 mg
    • Mixed Grill Dinner (5.5 oz) - 12.37% | 7.82% | 0.41% | 0.32 mg
    • 5% wet matter basis, 6% dry matter basis
    • Ocean Whitefish Tuna (5.5 oz) - 12.63% | 6.53% | 0.44% | 0.33 mg
    • 5% wet matter basis, 6% dry matter basis
    • Classic Tuna Dinner (5.5 oz) - 12.93% | 7.40% | 1.40% | 0.35 mg
    • 1% wet matter basis, 1% dry matter basis
    • Ground Paté (5.5 oz) - 11.42% | 8.31% | 0.44% | 0.33 mg
    http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html
    I used the above cat food carb calculator to get the carbs based on the GA (guaranteed analysis) from the figures in the other thread post. It was the best I could do at short notice. figures could have been wrong in other members post. So view these figures with a bit of "skepticism".

Carb percentages could be higher or lower than those shown. Feed these to your diabetic cat at your own risk. Knowing there are recalls on the product sometimes. But that happens with a lot of pet food.

Remember, lowest carb choice is not always the best choice for your cat. Some cats need a bit higher carb, other cats are more carb sensitive. "Know thy cat."
    ECID Every Cat, Caregiver, Cycle is Different.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  11. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Deb gave you some great information. Here is a link for free/for sale items that you may find helpful. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/supply-closet-for-sale-or-free.15/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.