Food chart confusion

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph

Steph Member

I feel lame, after years of doing carb counts. I was using Guaranteed Analysis and recently learned that only Dry Matter Analysis is correct. I have been using CatFoodDB.com and PawDiet.com for the Dry Matter Analysis counts, which often conflict. Hope's BG has been through the roof a few times and that is because I was using one of the above sites that showed a wet food at low carb, and the other showed high, OR, the manufacturer's chart showed something totally different. Now I've gone back to Dr. Lisa's chart, which has most foods on it, but not all, of course, and her counts are very different from some. Which do you all use? There is no excuse for me to miss this, honestly. I am frustrated. Thank you!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I just go by Dr Lisa's chart by the way when I try to look at your SS this is what comes up
    Sorry, the file you have requested has been deleted.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Dr Lisa uses the TNA (Typical Nutrient Analyses) or As Fed values in her calculations for % calories from carbs

To get % calories from carb (which is what Dr Lisa’s chart shows) the formula for wet food is this, (using As fed numbers rather than Guaranteed Analysis)

1. First, add up the analysis percentages for protein, fat, ash, fiber and moisture. Then deduct the total from 100. That will give you the percentage of carbohydrate by weight.

2. Then to get the calories from each of the food elements you multiply;
    Protein x 3.5
    Fat x 8.5
    Carbohydrate x 3.5

This tells you how many calories for each of the food elements in 100g of food.
    The total of those will give you the total calories per 100g food.

3. Then to get the percentage of calories from carbs you divide the 'calories from carbs per 100g' by the 'total calories per 100g' and then multiply by 100.

4. Steph

Steph Member

I don't have a spreadsheet for hope. My doctor asks me to check every few days at nadir. Hope has other chronic conditions such as kidney failure (She gets phosphorus binder in all food), pancreatitis, inflamed intestines, sludgy gallbladder, heart murmur, tachycardia, arthritis (severe). I just found another huge discrepancy between readings for one food and the three sources. :(.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Steph

Steph Member

Yes, I don't have one. The one for Stubbie (passed on) is deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.