? Food question for diabetic cat with allergies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA), Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

We found out our sugarbaby Big John has an allergy to beef/beef products. Lots of the FF and Friskies foods seem to have meat by-products. I am not sure now about using these foods for Big John. Does anyone have input on this. Usually meat by-products are not broken down into the type of protein. Thx!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You may have problems with these brands. Several years ago I had a dog with food allergies. I found that foods that had only a single protein worked best for her. There are several brands that have limited ingredient foods. Pate flavors usually have less carbs than foods with gravy.

3. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

I had been trying various Instinct limited protein canned when trying to see what he was allergic to but he got tired of them and does not "enjoy" them anymore. So I am looking for some new food to alternate with the Instinct and give him more variety. Thank you.

4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

How did you find out about his allergies? What kind of symptoms did he display? Just curious.

5. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

I adopted him earlier this year from a woman who had to go into assisted living and she told me he had a chronic cough and nasal mucous. He was checked at the vet numerous times and they just assumed he had asthma (which may also be true). My vet suggested trying an elimination diet to see if food triggered the cough. I had another cat with skin issues and found a test online that checks for reaction in saliva and we had good results with that so decided to try it with Big John and it came up with a reaction to beef. The test is Nutriscan which tests for antigens in 24 foods.

Dusty Bones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.