? Food Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

I see that the mixed grill Friskies isn't good. Does it work as a MC or HC food for low numbers? Looking at getting this. but just wanted to know what I can do with the mixed grill cans.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The Mixed Grill get 11? calories for carbs which is not that much higher than the 8% or less recommended. Thus it is really not a HC food.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Does it qualify as MC?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you mix it 50-50 with another Friskies, your average will be under 10% calories from carbohydrates. (ex [8+11]/2=9.5%)

5. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I just took about 10 cans of it to the shelter here in town. I've been buying the Evo brand turkey and chicken canned, they love it. I was glad to find something that they'd all eat as only two of them would eat the Friskies the others hated it. I think that's why I had such a hard time trying to get Goof to eat wet food, he hated that kind. Besides, I found the smell made me gag. The Evo costs a little more, but it's cheaper buying by the case and the smell isn't bad at all. Of course, just to make it difficult, only one WILL NOT eat the Evo. Jeez.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Laura & Heffernan likes this.
  6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

if your cat likes the mixed grill ( can't assume with our finicky ones) you can add some protein to lower it....
    or even find out how carb sensitive Shiloh is.....
    I am able to give anything up to 12% and it seems to make no difference, in fact, Shadow actually goes lower with some carbs....
    she was higher when I was getting her to eat 1 or 2% foods....
    I figured it out very quick....

7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

What I have been feeding her is this. She seems to react no different to any flavor in there.

8. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I find I can feed any of the Pate varieties with no effect at all on Rosa's BG...including the Mixed Grill (though as I buy the 32 can variety packs in 2 different types, plus Special Diet for some of their food until I run out of it, she only gets the Mixed Grill maybe every 3rd or 4th day). I'm probably lucky and she just isn't all that carb sensitive, but it's worth trying a couple of times before you write it off as a flavor.

9. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

Although many of the wet, canned foods can cause elevated blood sugars...another factor to take into consideration is the cat itself. Each of our babies is quite unique in their own right. For instance, mixed grill does not elevate my cats' sugar...However, any flavor of Sheba does. It's really sort of trial and error for most of us on the diabetic care journey. Good luck from jane and stewey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.