Food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Witn (GA), Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Since discovering Duquesa is pregnant, the vet recommended feeding her kitten food while she is pregnant and nursing. Because she is hungry all of the time, I would like to start supplementing the wet food with some dry kitten food. And when the kittens are weaned, I want to also feed them a combination of wet and dry food. Eventually they will go to all wet.

My question is for what should be the correct percentage of carbs in the dry food that will be ok to feed them. On Janets list, I see foods ranging from 9% all the way up into the 30+%. Since they probably could use some extra carbs just because of their energy, I could see where some are beneficial. However, I also don't want to give them too much either.

2. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Ideally, they should also get a low carb, wet diet. They just eat WAY more of it! If you want to supplement with some dry food though, I'd go with the low carb, grain free if you can. Just low carb, healthier for them.. they don't NEED the carbs. I'd go with EVO or Wellness CORE.. something like that.. one of the higher quality foods (if you can afford it).

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Steph. I was hoping that was the answer. Especially since I still have to figure out a way to keep Ricky from getting to the dry food. His BG levels have been really good lately and don't want to screw that up. :mrgreen:

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

They really need more canned food because their little growing bodies need all the meat protein they can get. Mixing with dry gives unneeded carbs as well as plant protein. Unless, of course you go with the very expensive dry foods that are grain free and made with meat ... but you won't be saving any money! Supplement with an inexpensive non-kitten wet food (like the large cans of Friskies) and they will grow into cats with good muscles, sleek coats, and healthy kidneys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.