Food questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, May 1, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so little is currently getting around 280 calories a day in 2 meals. Her weight has been maintaining monthly at 11 lbs. my vet said she should be at 260 calories. But she was skinny when this started. I am looking to take her off the FF fish that I currently mix into her main meal of chicken.. mostly because it stinks to high heaven and her breath... well that’s another story after she eats. Her current diet is zero carbs and in looking at the food chart I would look to switch her to something that has 4 carbs. Questions are;
    Do you think her calorie content is to high and I should skip adding into the chicken? That would bring her down to 220 cal a day. If I add the new food I’m considering it would be same calorie content but more fat and adding a few carbs. How would I expect that to effect her insulin dosage if at all? Last question is- is there such a thing as too few carbs when it comes to diabetic kitties? Could I be actually harming her by giving zero or too few carbs? Vet says no but we all know how I feel about what they say lately...

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, if she's maintaining her weight of 11lbs and that is healthy for her, don't worry about 20 calories ;). As for going from 0 carbs to 4 (guessing %), see how it effects her. Some kitties are more carb sensitive and then we can discuss insulin dose changes. Less fish may be more beneficial since it's not the best for them all the time. Does she have any food allergies? I don't see any harm in giving zero carbs since it wouldn't be in their natural diet but the low carb was easier for me to find food for Maury, who can be picky sometimes :joyful:. He only gets one seafood/fish flavour a week, the rest are chicken, turkey, or beef. His crunchies say zero carb but they really have very low traceable carbs. I like keeping it low carb for his meals because that helps me work with his insulin better, if that makes sense. When I leave him catfoodsickles when I go to work, I like knowing there's a couple carbs in there in case he needed them. If he's just a little more hungry at night, and his BG is staying fine, I'll give him a zero carb FF pouch :D. Hope that helps :).

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yong is our longtime librarian and dietician -- so you can trust her when it comes to food and calorie questions! Hi @Yong! It's so good to see you! You have been terribly missed!!! :bighug:

Lisa - at the risk of jinxing it, it looks like Little took to the 2.2 increase pretty well. Fingers crossed she stays steady with the 2.4 now. Good job moving her up. :)

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

lol! Hai @Djamila !!! I've missed you guys too :bighug:. Maury and I are back doing a slow dance for now ;).

Djamila likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Nooo! Oh, I'm so sorry to see that! Although so happy to see you back on here!

And Lisa, apologies for taking your thread off topic...:bighug: