Food recommendations for cat with food sensitivities

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexander's Mom, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander's Mom

Alexander's Mom New Member

Hello everyone! It's been while since I've been in the forum. You were a fantastic resource a couple of years ago when my boy, Alexander, was first diagnosed with diabetes. I was able to learn how to test his BG and found foods that helped me get him off of insulin within a mont! Sadly, Alexander passed over a year ago due to a very aggressive form of cancer.
    I'm actually writing today because of my other kitty, Jack. Jack is not diabetic, yet. He suffered from skin issues for over a year and just after Alexander's passing, I was able to put him on Hill's Prescriptives z/d, which cleared up his skin right away. However, the issue is that Jack has gained a lot of weight on this food. When I tried reducing the amount of food too much, he started eating so fast that he would throw up. I'm trying to find a lower carb diet that would also address his food sensitivities. Unfortunately, the food charts do not include Hill's Prescriptives and their website does not have enough info to use any of the calculators I've found on this site. I looked up Royal Canin's limited protein wet food and the calculator had it 6% wet carbs but 30% dry carbs, so that does not seem to be an option.
    Do you have any recommendations for food sensitive kitty who needs to lose weight?
    Thank you for any and all suggestions!
    Take care,
    Kimberly

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I think all Hills foods are high in carbs. Dr Lisa’s chart does have the prescription foods at the bottom of the list, page 62. Most look for a limited ingredient, novel protein diet, such as rabbit, lamb, duck. Looking at the ingredients on the z/d can though, it contains chicken so he’s not allergic to that.

3. Alexander's Mom

The z/d food is hydrolyzed, meaning that it is somehow processed so that the allergens are more or less removed from the food. I had put Jack on a chicken exclusive diet before all of this, but it did not work. I'm going to look for a non-typical protein diet (e.g., duck) that is lower carb for Jack.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Alexander's Mom

That being said, it looks like the Royal Canin Rabbit and/or Duck limited protein wet food could work for Jack. THANK YOU for letting me know that the prescriptive diets were at the end of Dr. Lisa's chart. I had only looked at the list in alphabetical order so missed the end additions.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

As far as wet goes, you could try Wysong. they have a rabbit, and a duck. You have to add the minerals/supplements seperatly but not a huge issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.