For Chester the Cat .. new member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alleycat, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleycat

alleycat Member

Hello. Chester my cat is currently changing from ProZinc to Lantus. Three Lantus Solostar 3ml pens were donated by a friend. Chester was diagnosed Sept 14 2016 with a urinalysis sugar reading off the charts. Each vet BG reading was over 500. He started on 2 units twice a day of ProZinc (increased to up to 3.2 units twice a day) but I never got the BG readings (after I started testing at home) under 138. I test at home with the ReliOn Micro/Confirm from Walmart. For the injections, I am using 3/10 capacity needles with half unit markings. He is 13 years old, weighs only 8 pounds and eats Friskies Pate canned food. He eats a LOT b/c he still isn't regulated. I have the Solostar pens and have watched the videos on how to pull out .5 units (it's very hard to pull out .25 out of the pen as I wanted to start with for the change). His first injection was today and I tried my best to get .25 measured and I am not sure if he even got any. My husband gave him the shot today. I tested every couple of hours today and got readings of 330-405. I read it takes possibly 4 injections or more to see any changes. I signed up here on FDMB to help get Chester regulated.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Half unit marked syringes are helpful. Also pulling out exactly what you need is usually impossible. What you can do is pull a little more than you need. Remove syringe (don't inject insulin back into pen). Then adjust until you have your dose. You will lose a drop or to but so be it. You can also measure with calipers

4. alleycat

alleycat Member

Thank you, I have been looking for a nice spreadsheet to use. Our little book is so small I can barely write in it. Yes, we are using needles with the half unit markings. I am going to increase to 1.5 tonight and check him every couple hours or so; I stay up late anyway. His readings today were 405 and then 502. I also checked his urine with the ketone strip last night and it was negative.

5. alleycat

alleycat Member

Thanks so much! Yes, I had read that I shouldn't inject Lantus back inside the pen as I was doing with the ProZince (that's the way the vet done it with ProZinc). I pull a little more out than needed of the Lantus, then flick the needle to send the bubbles to the top then squirt some out to get the right amount. Thanks so much for your input! I'm going to check out that spreadsheet now; surely it's better than the one I have.

6. aka Jack's mom

aka Jack's mom New Member

Hello. I am so glad to have found this site! Jack was diagnosed with diabetes in January of 2015. I have been following my vet's recommendations and have experienced him cycle/not get stable with a insulin regimen for the past 2 years fluctuating between .5 and 4 units. He is 10 years old. I found this forum recently in looking to change his diet since he has been on the same diet since diagnosis and the diet hasn't seemed to be working for him. I am hopeful to get some good insight into diet to help better manage his diabetes.

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.