Free Feed vs. Twice Daily

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hmclaughlin1973, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmclaughlin1973

hmclaughlin1973 Member

With PJ being newly diagnosed, I decided to go with the twice daily feeding schedule. His numbers are ALL over the place though...up and down...check out his sheet! Does anyone have any opinions on me free feeding or feeding 4 times per day vs just twice. Could that help these numbers? I just don't see ANY stability at all...is this normal?

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots feed four/five times a day. AMPS, +3 + 6 +9 snacks and then PMPS +3, +6 +9 at night.

Eating helps stimulate the body to do it's natural process and sometimes help kick the pancreas into gear. I know with Jones, most times if I control the snacks...his numbers seem better but ECID. The timed feeders really help with this and several members use one.

Jones free feeds as that is how he eats best. That said, he has a rough +3+6+9 schedule. Key is just to pick up 2 hours before the PS.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

my cat loss weight before being diagnosed so feeding more often was a given but, since he was free feeding on dry beforehand and getting can food in AM and PM, i thought it was best not to stress him out more by changing his personal schedule to set times so i decided to feed him 1/4-1/2 of a 3oz can every other hour or so (except hr before pre-shot reading) and leave out YA dry food for him to graze on overnight. this is working well for us and his numbers aren't fluctuating much on this schedule at all...we are newly diagnosed too and still learning what is best so can't tell you what is and what is not best but, from what i gather lots choose to feed small meals more often than having 2-3 set meals a day.

4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

We feed 4-6 small meals a day. With the constant hunger of diabetes they really are starving. If your fur kitty is under weight would definitely go with free feeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.