Freestyle libre meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by bgenick, Oct 1, 2018.

1. bgenick

bgenick Member

I've seen some discouraging comments about this meter/sensor. I want to post a positive review! My cat's has stayed on well so far. It is covered with a wide cloth collar and affixed with tissue glue by the vet. It is SO easy to use, and gives a curve fairly easily! I could NEVER have gotten the detailed info that I have with ear pricks (6 or more a day). You then upload from the meter to a web site for your vet to view. The only downside, and it's a big one, is that you must scan the senor every time you want a reading. It does not record automatically. This is a big downside for those without flexible schedules, or anyone who wants to see night time readings.

I was WRONG about not recording automatically. I was misinformed. It DOES record automatically every 15 min. But you must scan the sensor within 8 hours to get the data, or it will be lost.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Reason for edit: My information needed correction
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Googling shows that a sensor (that lasts 10-14 days) is about $35 at Walmart. So if yo do a lot of testing then it is worth it, especially if you use AT strips.

3. C_Star

C_Star Member

Where did you put the sensor? I've seen from lots of sites that it's a fairly long needle and I wonder about placement on lean cats.

4. bgenick

bgenick Member

My cat is on his third freestyle libre sensor and I want to put in an enthusiastic plug for this device (I'm not associated with it or its manufacturer). It has provided far more detail to inform treatment than I could ever have gotten from ear pricks or curves. It records every 15 minutes and stores the data for eight hours. You must scan the sensor before the eight hour period ends. You upload the data to their web site and it generates all sorts of records and graphs. Your vet, assuming they are paying for this service, can view the results. It has made life much easier for me and my cat. I do see the cautions about double-checking highs and lows. And, it is temporary. They last for only 10 days, although there may be a more recent version that lasts slightly longer. Each of mine lasted eight days. But I observed lows that I did not know were taking place. This was very important to know to determine best dosage and avoid hypos. It seems to require a pretty skilled vet to place it securely, and not too many are using it yet. Mine came from our state vet school.

5. bgenick

bgenick Member

It is a very short filament. Maybe 1/2" long. The sensor goes on the neck. I can't say how you get the filament under the skin, as my vet placed mine. On top of it, the cat wears a wide cloth collar fastened with Velcro. Not an e collar.

6. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

I just found this thread!!! I have stated how much I really wanted to try it..I can place it myself..but do wonder how "very loose" skin on the neck might affect the sensor moving around= out of place. So, the sensor does not last 14 days? That's fine..Does the cat notice the sensor-try to get to it? BTW..I am not aware that the DVM has to be involved with obtaining data...Can I not view all info myself?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O1YNDHz-t4REns_tbAN6D_M3AYT6_kgqbHE7JWo6kSM/edit#gid=0

7. bgenick

bgenick Member

Like most things, it has strengths and weaknesses, and is suitable for some folks and not for others. You are smarter than me--at last visit, I asked the tech to show me how to place it, but I don't feel confident enough to do it myself yet. My cat is probably on the more-tolerant end of the scale, and to my surprise has not scratched at the sensor or tried to remove it. He is wearing a wide cloth (not e-) collar with Velcro closure over it. My sensors have lasted an average of 8 days, the most recent one just ended after 5 days. They get loose or shift out of place, then quit working.

Perhaps the DVM does not need to be involved, I don't know. In my case, the whole PURPOSE was to get more info for the DVM to help make decisions. In addition, I suspect that some health care provider may have to assist you in registering. The device and sensors do require a scrip. My DVM (state vet school) is listed as a provider with them, and I can choose to share my data. As you can imagine, the vendor is not happy to hear that it is being used on animals. So, if I have a Q, I just ID myself as Nick Elliott. It doesn't matter because their tech support is ABYSMAL.

I view my own info, I just choose if I want to share it with anyone else online. You can also email the reports to yourself and then distribute.

8. Carol & Murphy

Carol & Murphy Well-Known Member

Hi I'm also curious - how much does your cat weigh? Can you send photos of the device on your cat, with the cloth and velcro closure - that to me is the most vexing - where to place it and how to keep it in place. I take it the cat needs to be shaved of fur at the placement site.

9. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Have you viewed the YouTube videos? I liked this one......

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  10. Carol & Murphy

That shows a dog. I’m still curious about the specific cat questions I asked above

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Member

Wow, this is soooo cool. I wish I knew about this when Frosty was alive. This could be easily hidden under his onesie. Although it may not have been a good idea for him after he started having skin tears, I can see this being a huge help to take testing out of the equation. Wow!

12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

A short filament? I actually bought one and it had a huge thick needle that had to go in maybe is a new model.

Could you show us some photos of the sensor and where it was placed?

Carol & Murphy likes this.
  13. Carol & Murphy

Hi Veronica - I so remember your experience - that's why I too would love to see the photos

14. bgenick

bgenick Member

Believe me, however, it does not matter how long the sensor is designed to last, if it falls off before that time! I have had about 5, and I think 8 days is the longest any have lasted (though most made it to that mark). One lasted only 5 days. They fall off or get loose so that readings are not consistently available, unless skillfully applied.

15. bgenick

bgenick Member

For those who have asked here is nick’s freestyle libre sensor. Put it on flattest area u can find use tissue glue and cover with wide cloth Kitty Kollar at $40

Attached Files:

16. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Thanks do you by any chance have a photo of the filament? How much does your cat weight?

17. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Having actually seen the sensor I would say is quite okay to put it in a dog but I feel is too big for a cat