Fridge Was Off For A Few Hours

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NYCHousewife, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCHousewife

NYCHousewife New Member

Hi everybody,

My fridge was off...hubby forgot to plug it back in after using another appliance. It was for a few hours. I took the insulin vial out and it was still cold ...well not freezing, but slightly chilly.

Do you think that my insulin has gone bad?

I am quite worried.

It was about 2 hours 3 hours max out.

The vial was inside the fridge the entire time in its box.

Please advise. Thanks so much!

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i think it should be just fine. it might be different if fridge was unplugged and door standing wide open but if the fridge was just unplugged but the door stayed closed most of the time.....especially if it still felt cool to the touch....i think you should be fine.

i think worse case it might shorten it's lifespan a little but you'd see that via hometesting if numbers start running consistently higher

3. NYCHousewife

NYCHousewife New Member

Thanks for replying.

It was fairly cool when I touched it to my cheek to check coldness...since sometimes our hands can be "used" to things.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

:)

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Being in a rural area ourselves, and especially during a bad thunderstorm, our power can go out, sometimes hours on end. At most, our power will go out for a couple of hours.

5. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

In general, the more stuff in your fridge, the longer it will stay cold. A well sealed fridge should stay cold enough for more than a few hours, as long as you keep that door closed.

My vet told me to think of insulin kinda like milk. If you leave it out at room tempurature too long it will spoil fast. If you freeze it, then it will never be "quite right" again. If you aren't worried about your food spoiling, then you shouldn't be too worried about the insulin spoiling. But if you are doing home testing, then you will see that the insulin won't work as long or as well if it is damaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.