? Friskies NEW pate w more gravy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Aug 6, 2018.

1. sherrib

sherrib Member

saw the commercials about Friskies adding more “ gravy” to their pate food. Is this going to change the carbs count?

2. Arkali

Arkali Member

Probably. I guess we'll see. *sigh* The cats like the gravy, but the gravy doesn't particularly like them :p

3. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

Oh no! I"ll have to keep a sharp eye out for that. Lilly eats the pate.

4. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Most of the foods with gravy tend to be high in carbs. I was going to write Friskies tonight about how I think they are slowly killing our kitties with all these carbs. :)

Jill & Jade and Rardito like this.
  5. sherrib

sherrib Member

Explain that because of their food ( pate ) they are helping hundreds and hundreds of cats with diabetes and adding more gravy to this pate is going to stop all of the good work that they were doing for the cats. I really hope that this “ gravy” doesn’t mess us up. It’s so hard finding food that most people can afford, meaning Friskies and fancy feast. It will be tough if I have to start buying the more expensive cat food. I feed all of my cats the same food .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

In the meantime until you can find out how the change effects the carb count I would strain out the gravy.

7. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Hope you don't mind but I quoted you when I wrote.

sherrib and kimberbee like this.
  8. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Where did you send the letter to?

Maybe we should all send in letters, more voices might make a difference.

(Also, maybe share the letter, only of you're comfortable, so we can use it as a template?)

sherrib likes this.
  9. sherrib

sherrib Member

I don’t mind, but I did change at least one typo :)

10. sherrib

sherrib Member

Sadly, because of the extra gravy I switched over to FF. But w only 3 oz cans, I have to buy so much more & spend twice as much :( At least until we all find out if or how much the carb count changed

11. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I emailed them @ friskies.com

Arkali likes this.
  12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

BradysMom12 likes this.
  13. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Regarding "Pate" vs "Extra Gravy Pate. As noted in the links below, the Pate has more protein and calories. The Extra Gravy has water as the second ingredient, therefore I believe, all Friskies did was dilute the product to give more gravy. :banghead: I already add a lot of extra water to the pate.

Oh, and you also get the pleasure of paying more for that "extra gravy". :banghead::banghead::banghead:

https://www.friskies.com/products/wet-cat-food/extra-gravy-pate/

https://www.friskies.com/products/wet-cat-food/pate/chicken-tuna-dinner/

14. Arkali

Arkali Member

Figures. Thanks for the info :)

15. Butterball

Butterball Member

Depends on what the gravy is made of. If it’s gluten based then ya undoubtably more carbs. If it’s made of water or guar gum or gelatin or whatever then probably not a significant difference. The answer is always in the ingredients

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just curious why you made this statement since gluten is a protein
    "Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye, spelt and barley."
    from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318606.php

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  17. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

@Larry and Kitties Your question also made me curious. I think @Butterball may have been referring to Gluten as an "ingredient" found in grain, therefore carbohydrates, which can elevate glucose in the body. Only time I ever make Gravy is at Thanksgiving, and I use Flour. Yummy!

Nutrition is so difficult to comprehend at times; so many variables and contradictions. No wonder there are so many questions on this forum about kitty diets! I certainly do enjoy learning about anything that concerns my feline love bugs! :D

https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/what-is-gluten/

18. Butterball

Butterball Member

Glutten based was referring to grain based ingredients. I guess I should've used "grain free" instead. So if a gravy product has "wheat glutten" in it, then it's assuredly high carb, or "medium" carb but certainly not low carb. If the gravy base is something like "chicken broth" (A.K.A water) or something like zantham or guar gum without wheat glutten then it can still be low carb. The gravy in cat food is usually one of those ingredients.

Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
  19. BradysMom12

BradysMom12 New Member

I bought a couple cans of the pate with extra gravy. Trying to calculate the carb % myself from Dr. Pierson’s website, I get 3% for the turkey and giblets. Here is my math...
    protein 8%
    Fat 5%
    Fiber 1%
    Moisture 82%
    Ash 3.5%
    Total: 99.5%
    100-99.5= 0.5
    0.5/18= 0.027777 or 2.7% rounded up 3%.

Did I calculate that right?! Brady LOVES the “extra gravy”. But it’s not a thick gravy like other gravy foods. It’s more the consistency of what I get when I add water to a pate food. It just seems too good to be true...have we really found a food Brady loves, low in carbs AND affordable??

Link for info on how I calculated.
    https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/#Calculating__Percentage_of_Carbohydrates:

20. BradysMom12

BradysMom12 New Member

It has a lot of water and guar gum.

21. sherrib

sherrib Member

So basically, the “ gravy” has NOT changed the carb count enough for us to avoid it?