Friskies pate feed problem

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Has anybody else started having trouble after feeding Friskies pate canned food lately? Seems like the last week every time they eat the Friskies they have very loose stools and I also noticed that they have been throwing up more hairballs lately and sometimes just playing throw up. My dog snuck in the kitchen and ate what was left over and he to started throwing up and having diarrhea. I immediately stopped feeding the food and went back to feeding the fancy feast pate and everything cleared up on its own. I was giving them one more day before I took them all to the vet. They were still drinking and urinating and acting normal and my dog was still eating his regular dog food and he was still playing but during the two days he had the diarrhea I did pull his food and did a fast on him for 24 hours. Could not do a 24 hour with my diabetic cat but he didn’t have the diarrhea with the fancy feast.
    I went to consumer report website and it seemed that tons and tons of other people are having the same issues with Friskies pate so I didn’t know if something was going on but I just don’t know about.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Well that's concerning. I'd just blame it on hairball issues of the dog didn't puke too.

3. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

There is an issue with it apparently for certain lots. There's been a lot of posts on FB about it. I think someone posted in this forum as well. I'll see if I can find it.

4. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

5. Emmy

Emmy Member

Editing this to add to what I previously wrote, below: I have checked and all my Friskies canned pates have a number ending in 1159. I don't know what this means. It was identified in another thread as a number we don't want. I have like 2+ cases with this number that I got from Chewy.

Here's the message I wrote before: Can anyone explain how to check for bad "lots" of Friskies canned pates or direct me to the link to that info? That is, where do I find which lots are bad? I have done general searches online now and again for recalls of Friskies canned cat food but never have found any recalls.

I used to feed Fancy Feast pates but they actually are somewhat higher in phosphorus than Friskies canned pates. However, I guess the Fancy Feast must be a bit better quality as first ingredient is not by-product as is Friskies. And the bottom line is someone gave me a case of Friskies canned pates awhile ago and my cats liked it. Now my younger cat prefers it to more expensive canned food. But I shirk from reading what's actually in Friskies--not that they wouldn't eat things I wouldn't consider edible if they went a-hunting....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

had same problem with our cats in march, stopped after i stopped feeding them friskies. got irritated with them refusing the various new food i was buying to switch them to and gave them the non-double stamped poultry & mixed grill friskies again like 2 wks later. by end of night, like 3 cats started throwing up and next day we had loose to diarrhea issues with most again.. dumped all the cases in the trash after that and no more food related throwing up or loose stools again! something definitely wrong with lot 1157 cases i have BUT i can't help to think maybe it could be from how cases are being transported or warehoused to go to certain areas maybe cause it doesn't seem like everyone is having the same food issues with the same lot numbers. i did buy these two flavors from chewy too.

for a friskies replacement and if you don't mind the fish in ingredients that i failed to notice, the paws & claws pates from tractorsupply is pretty much exactly the same as friskies and all our cats liked it just as much but, the fish being fed regularly caused stool issues with some of our cats after a couple days. we now use triumph turkey pate (the only flavor they have that is fish free) and dave's naturally chicken pate (carrageenan-free version), everyone seems to like it enough and no digestive issues from these at all. i can't remember which one or if both but, it had a low ph. for cats that don't love it as much as friskies or the P&C, i add a little bit of Liver sprinkles on top to entice them and they than eat their portion.

7. sherrib

Has there been a recall on a certain lot? If so, I know nothing about it. I posted about it here to see if anybody else was having trouble with Friskies pate. I went to Friskies website to see if there any recalls and I didn’t see anything and then I search the Consumer report website and came across lots of people having the same issue

So what is this lot number ending 1159 about?

8. sherrib

I’m feeding Fancy Freast now, but the cans are only 3 oz and I’m feeding 2 large cats. Everyone that Mets my cat’s always so “ never seen a cat this big before” (They are really long cats).
    I need to find some the same size friskies. But from but I can afford. I did get him to eat 9 lives but I think it’s becuase they knew Friskies was making them sick and they have to eat something. Especially skittles since he has to have food with his insulin.

9. sherrib

I know a few people said they also got there from chewies. But I don’t think it has anything to do with that company because I do not get mine from there and my cat had diarrhea throwing up and it was the Friskies . And like I said my dog got into their cat food and and he also had diarrhea and throwing up. My dog a small Dog that has to sit in my lap and he has really long hair so having diarrhea two or three times a day was really bad, because it got all over everything .every time he went to the bathroom he had to have a bath. My poor dog thinks that the cat are getting treats because he knows he’s not allowed to eat it .So if I even turn my head for even a minute he will gobble it really fast and now that I am feeding FF when he did the same thing he did not get the diarrhea and throwing up so it was definitely friskers.

Sylvie likes this.
  10. Emmy

Emmy Member

I am sorry to hear about the sick kitties. Food manufacturers failing to comply with safety standards need to be reported, so please, if you can photograph or write down the info on the cans and report it to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or document it here. LuannP gives us the link to the other FDMB thread (see above) on which we can find the link to report to the FDA. Also on that thread others write about illness connected to feeding Friskies.

Like others, I've found no recalls of Friskies, nor official reports of food-related illness, only our accounts and those on the Facebook group and the .com ConsumerAffairs. I look to a blog at https://truthaboutpetfood.com/ for recall information, too. And when I looked on the FDA Web site I found one official warning letter dated Jan 2015 to the Nestle Purina 1159 plant in Allentown, PA, to correct their food processing procedure. The letter listed Friskies Mixed Grill only.

Because of all the complaints I've read now on the above sights on the 1157, 1159, 1161, and double stamped Friskies cans, I wrote the place I ordered from, Chewy, and reported a lot of cat owners are writing their cats may or are probably being sickened by these cans. I wrote that my order contained all 1159 cans from Allentown, PA, plant. They gave me a refund. Chewy is good about that, I guess. But, Chewy customer service said they cannot check lot numbers before filling orders. Anyway, the only way to solve the problem is to report the incidences of illness to the FDA or to the Department of Agriculture Pet Food Division. For example, when I reported Young Again I contacted my state's Department of AG at http://www.mda.state.mn.us/petfood. A woman called me and I gave her a report on the phone plus a written report. Young Again is made in Minnesota. At first she asked me to hold onto the food but then said the Department of Ag would deal directly with the company. I can only hope they really did. Nestle Purina is enormous, of course, but maybe seeing the warning letter the FDA sent them in 2015 is evidence the FDA does check up on them.

I understand how stressful and exhausting it is caring for sick kitties. Before Mabel went into remission I had all I could do to keep up, and I had no time to contribute to these conversations. Plus, I have only sporadic internet access on my computer. It so happens I have it a few days this week. If I'm not back here that's probably why. Sending my best to you and your beautiful kitties.

11. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with FFeast also?

12. sherrib

I’m not having problems as far as diarrhea and throwing up . Skittles BG has been running higher the last 2 days , hoping it’s not from FF. It’s the same kind that we always get of fancy feast. I just prefer Friskies because it’s a bigger can and I’m feeding 2.

Are you having problems w FF?

13. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Hi Sherrib.

Ravan has been off his Raw meat Diet for months,& has been eating FFeast. a few days ago He refused FFeast & is again eating his raw meat.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the batch of FF I bought.

I thought several people had posted about a problem with Friskies & FFeast?

I've been reading so many posts I could have mixed it up with old Posts.

Let me know if you hear of any problems with the FF

Thanks

14. racn1320

racn1320 Member

no problems here,cans were labeled 1157 ,1159, and 1161

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.