From Feline's Pride's owner regarding the recall

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Shelby has asked me to copy and paste his letter here since he is not a board member. ( I am just the messenger.)

Hi, my name is Shelby Gomas,

I am the owner of Feline’s Pride and have been making this diet for the last 5 years and hope to continue for the rest of my life. We got bombed with a Class I recall based on a positive FDA lab reports for salmonella for product manufactured between 6/10/2010 and 6/17/2010. All product was to be recalled back to our factory but by the time that was issued all product manufactured was consumed. No kitty or person has reported any illness or sickness or death that is associated with a Class 1 recall. Very interesting to note not one person or kitty fell to any type of illness .

Discussion with FDA officials to reduce the classification to a class 3 recall was absolutely fruitless. A class 3 recall is where no individual gets sick or pet falls victim to illness. Why the Class 1 designation? I would like to add that the Associated Press, who called me directly, spent a moment to discuss the issue. After the conversation, they were reluctant to even publicize the issue based on the fact no one became ill and the class designation was inappropriate.

I have been making this diet without incident for 5 years for kitties with IBD, IBS and diabetics with mostly all going into remission. This operation is, in my opinion, the cleanest food operation I have ever worked in and I have 13 furry food critics that have been eating every batch made since day 1, without any incident of illness. I would like for those who read this to understand that salmonella is a common bacteria that is found in most poultry, if not all poultry. Our operation is to manufacture a clean product as best as possible with stainless steel grinders that are sanitized after every operation. For the last 5 years we have tested negative for salmonella. We manufacture food according to FDA guidelines FDA#122 which specifically requests, as part of their guidelines, for food to be fine ground and all product used be of USDA quality or better. We have been compliant since opening day.

Also remember, fine ground food has more exposure to the possibility of salmonella because of increased surface area for the possibility of contamination than, say, a whole chicken thigh or chicken wing.
    We have the honor of being in compliance with New York State Agriculture and Markets and are also a FDA registered food facility and we invite agencies to make inspection whenever possible. When we ship a sample of food, say a 2.5 lb. container to a new client, we ship it in a container that has 3 lbs. of gel pak on top and bottom. That is 6 lbs. of refrigerant for a 2.5 lb. sample that is shipped . The FDA procured items from us and used less than 6 lbs. of refrigerant for 50 lbs. of food and shipped it to their labs.

I have an issue with that and have requested a hearing with the FDA. I have heard nothing from them. I have also contacted an FDA ombudsman who is suppose to intercede between businesses such as mine to help us through this mess, but still no response. The State of Virginia has suspended our sales in that State because they feel our labeling is not in compliance. The State of New York FDA assures us that our labels are totally in compliance. Both legal counsel and myself have asked for that to be placed in writing. That request was denied….my question is - for what reason? Meanwhile, sick kitties, mostly IBD’s and diabetics are the one’s suffering for the official delays in registration.

There are many issues I could address but I am just here to let people know we are in a pickle of a situation trying to deal with governmental administration and trying to get someone to commit themselves to a decision. Meanwhile, I will go back to trying to make the best food possible. Many of you who know this company are aware of my love for these furry little critters and my commitment to their health. Six years ago, six of my guys were poisoned in less than two months from eating contaminated food. When I dug those graves, I promised myself I would research and learn how to avoid this issue with any more of my “kids.” When I came up with the idea to make this food, I did it for my own objectives. That being, to make sure my remaining guys got the best food possible.

Our customers are all being treated the same as my “kids.” If you wish to discuss any issue, you can call me at 1-716-580-3096 at Feline’s Pride. Thank for reading my two cents on this recall issue.

Sincerely,

Shelby Gomas

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

My two cents on this.

Three years ago this past spring Tigger was a very sick kitty, with high liver values, IBD and pancreatitis. We got through all that finally and after that I decided to get him on an all raw diet and contacted Shelby at Feline's Pride.

Three years now he has been eating this raw food and except for his ongoing diabetes he is one healthy kitty at 15 years old. :)

The food always comes frozen and fresh and I would recommend it to anyone for their cats. That's why I always have the link to the website in my signature.

Signed, a happy customer.

3. Robin and Peri

Robin and Peri New Member

From another Feline's Pride's owner regarding the recall

Hi everyone-I have been with Feline's Pride since day one of the company with Peri. The food is such excellent quality that I had it shipped to where my kittens were being weaned in another state (at Julie's) BEFORE I actually had them in my home. I wanted them to have the benefit of Feline's Pride right from mother's milk. My boys are now 3 and knock wood they are both the pictures of health! They feel different than Peri and Alex did when they were kittens and young men. I believe that nothing compares in my own personal experience to what a raw fed cat on an excellent raw fed diet looks and feels like. I have never had one problem with Feline's Pride. It always come fresh and frozen in excellent condition! I would recommend it to anyone and have. Everyone I recommend it to says the very same thing I am saying-it is GREAT FOOD!!!

.....and about the man....Shelby gives excellent customer service but more importantly he did go through what he said with his other cats and he vowed to find a better way for them....raw....his soul purpose for FPs origin is to help all cats live better...that is why he formed this company. Shelby... I thank you again and again and my boys Augie and Bart thank you too! You need help fighting I am right by your side!!!
    xoxoxox
    Robin of Robin and Peri

4. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Pamela and Robin ~ Thanks so much for lending your support. Even though Shelby can't post here, I can tell you that your words are being read by him and they have touched his heart profoundly.

There is no other human being on this earth who loves cats as much as Shelby does and I mean that will all sincerity. He really, REALLY loves them....and even though I have never toured his facility, I just know in my heart that he does his very best to produce a raw diet that is as safe and as high in quality as possible.

The reality of the matter is that there is going to be some salmonella in raw food on occasion. We all know that as raw feeders and have chosen to take that risk versus feeding commercial canned or (god-forbid..) dry foods. I sleep well with my decision and, to be honest, I can't stomach the thought of feeding commercial food to my cats. I simply do not trust the pet food industry as much as I trust Shelby or what I make in my own kitchen. I actually tried to feed some canned food to my cats the other day and cringed. I just am not comfortable with putting my trust in the big corporations.

I do not see this recall as a slight on Feline's Pride. I see it as a reality of raw feeding.

Is raw feeding 100% safe? Of course not - but then nothing in life is! And....I would rather put my faith in Shelby's product or what I make in my own kitchen rather than any of the typical commercial foods that are available.

And....yes...I am a control freak. I will be the first one to admit that....but I just need to know what is in the food bowls of my furry best friends.

By the way, I talked to my brother the other day who lives in northern CA. He said that a mountain lion killed a deer behind his house. It took the cat 1 week to eat it. Me thinks that after 1 week, the food was not nearly as clean and fresh as what comes out of Feline's Pride. And the mountain lion lives on.....

One could take that argument and say "but...I will bet that poultry has a higher chance of being a carrier for salmonella than the wild deer." Maybe that is true...but, again, nobody ever said that raw feeding is 100% safe..... but if I could not make my own cat food, I would feed Feline's Pride.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry to be reading this. When Maui was diagnosed with FD, I read Dr. Lisa's site about nutrition. I took her recommendation and made my first foray into the world of raw food. I purchased a small order of Feline's Pride. It arrived fairly quickly, in a re-usable cold container and with nice ice packs that were still cold upon arrival. The food was partially frozen and after a quick email to FP, was informed that it was fine and not to worry.

It took time to teach my girls that raw food was food and OK to eat. Thank you Dr. Lisa and Shelby for introducing my girls to raw food and I am very sorry you are having these issues. I hope it is resolved very soon.

6. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Thank you, Dr. Lisa, for posting Shelby's report. When I first heard about this recall my immediate response was, "Oh no!" because I was afraid it would effect his business negatively and I would not longer be able to get this quality food for Gandalf.

I was first encouraged to try it last year by Pamela when Gandalf had severe pancreatitis, with an fPLI of 28.7ug/L (high normal is 3.5). Despite all I know from the board, I stupidly had followed the vet's advice of feeding Hill's I/D. It caused severe diarrhea.

The raw food from Feline's Pride arrived the day he was so weak he just laid down in the litter box after a bout of diarrhea. I had to unthaw it, as it arrives frozen because it's so well packaged, but I fed it via syringe as soon as possible. He did not have another incident of diarrhea after that. None. Within 2 days he was eating on his own again.

I was poo-poo'd on the board for suggesting that the raw food "cured" the pancreatitis. I probably should have phrased my statement better, because more than likely it was simply that the raw food helped his digestive system overcome the diarrhea, which was preventing him from full recovery. But I do not hesitate to suggest that raw food, if prepared with the proper nutrients as Feline's Pride does, would be a helpful part of aiding with the care of a cat suffering from pancreatitis. It is also does not need further grinding to syringe feed, a further plus.

I continue to feed it supplementally and he has had only one other mild pancreatitis flare in January. As Dr. Lisa says over and over, the most natural diet for a cat is raw food. Great story about the mountain lion, BTW!

Please don't anyone hesitate to try Feline's Pride.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Yes, great story! And thank you Dr. Lisa for adding your testimonial for Shelby's company and the benefits of feeding raw food.

(and an added benefit, Tigger's poop doesn't stink) LOL :D

8. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Oh my gosh.....I had forgotten about how happy I am when cleaning my cats' litter box with their NON-smelly poop....until....I fed a bit of canned food a couple of weeks ago.

Ugh....I was reminded of the potent poop odor associated with the feeding of a commercial canned food diet. What a HUGE difference!!!

It gives rise to the 'old saying' about 'my (cats') poop don't stink'! :D

9. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I wish we could get this stuff up here in Canada :(

10. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Buy a grinder and make your own! :D

I am an idiot in the kitchen so if I can make cat food, anybody can make cat food.

I have been making my cats' food for 7.5 years. Yes...it can be a pain in the rear end but I wouldn't have it any other way. Plus, in the long run, you will save money - depending on how you source your meats.

11. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

You think you're an idiot in the kitchen? I don't even know what "parboiled" means lol

12. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Don't laugh...but I had to look it up on google/dictionary.com. No lie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.