Fructosamine 318, vet recommended OTJ trial

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MamaMug, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I posted in the prozinc forum as well but interested in getting some feedback about our status and game plan.

The vet wants us to go OTJ for 5-7 days with regular monitoring and see where his levels lie naturally since food chance really made such a difference. He seems to be a bit uncomfortable with the lower numbers and having a thin margin of error with dosing. He hypothesized that either we are close to being regulated by diet or that he's potentially just a little too sensitive to PZ. If the numbers get wonky again he may consider looking at a different insulin.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad you posted over on the Prozinc page as they will be able to give you the best advice. You might like to tag Rachael and djamila over there.
    Normally we like to see kitty go down to 0.25 then a drop of insulin and to be able to stay in green numbers before we suggest a trial OTJ. You will get a much stronger remission that way. You were still getting yellow numbers a couple of days ago which means that Gato still has a little way to go before an OTJ trial I think.
    A fructasamine test is an AVERAGE of the numbers of the last few weeks. You have a spreadsheet which shows up to the minute numbers, which show that Gato is getting there, but not quite yet.. and his pancreas needs a bit more support while it heals..
    Does that make sense?
    If I were you I would take the advice of the experienced people who use Prozinc.

MindyC likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Bron is right it is an average over last several weeks. There is also a formula to equate that fructosamine number to BG as the fructosamine levels are always higher than regular BG levels even on a non diabetic cat. I checked the conversion chart comparing fructosamine to BG and that 318 actually translates to an average BG of about 170 which would incorporate highs (food induced or bounces) as well as lows. This chart may be for humans, but I would think the math would still be the same. So take info with a grain of salt. I thought it was interesting that fructosamine numbers are not exactly in step with BG.

Probably best info can be gained from your testing on your spreadsheet as Bron indicated also.

upload_2019-4-9_11-22-51.png

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.