Frustrated! Dose and bounce drama as always!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Moms2Tigger&Blu, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

So about 5 days ago we increased Tigger's dose to 1.5 units (his original dose we came home from ICU with and gave blindly for 2 weeks which now scares the crap outta me, but whatever). The second cycle on this dose he hit his first green numbers and gently rode thru them with nothing more than his usual LC "midnight" snack. I. Was. Thrilled.

Then he bounced. And I know there were two days where we couldn't get any mid cycle tests, but it seems he has bounced ever since. I'm guessing he went nice and low on 9/6 day cycle but still! Last night his entire cycle was just 400's. Today, all 300's. Like a straight line with no dip at all. I suppose I should be encouraged today is lower than last night but WTH?!?!

His nadirs weren't great at 1.25 units but they seemed better than this! The lower the nadir, the bigger the bounce . . . I can't possibly feel safe going up to 1.75 as he is scheduled to do Monday morning. It will be a full work week of no mid cycle tests during the day. And I know I am not really listening the vet anymore but she always encourages a 2 week trial on each dose. I feel like I may do that this time. Any thoughts?

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

this is just my opinion....
    but...
    that black you had on 9/6 could very well be a spike after a low green.... or it could be the vomiting. The next time you get a test that is out of place, try to test again and see if you get the same result twice.

The reason I lean towards there having possibly been a low green is that Tigger's record on 9/3 pm cycle.... he started out mid pink....
    and just 6 hours later he was green....

so it's entirely possible that happened again on 9/6, as there are 12 hours without a test that day and then a black number. It could be there was another green and the vomit episode.

Since you say you have work next week, I would not forge ahead because IF he is doing some multi floor drops in a few hours, that could be dangerous for him without you around.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you saw green on this dose SLGS suggests holding the dose. The 89 really calls for a reduction, but since it's on the border and with recent DKA, good call to hold the dose.

Moms2Tigger&Blu likes this.
  4. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

Forge ahead as in increase or forge ahead with 1.5?
    I did not feel the 89 was that dramatic at the time and honestly how much different is it than the 95? A 6 point difference would statistically be null all the rest of the time. Since he went up smooth and slow with just a Sheba perfect portions I felt the 89 could have easily been 90 on another strip and I would have never known. Plus, I actually did get a +7.5 that night which was 96 but decided not to put it on the SS unless his +8 was weird/low. It was also with a different brand strip. If it had been wildly out of place I would have done it again.

5. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

Oh and if you mean to get another test on the 633 PMPS - I got 661 with a FS Lite strip.
    Im just concerned I haven't even seen a yellow in days!