Frustrated with What to do for old cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

My 17 year old Oscar (non-diabetec) was diagnosed with Feline aids 13 years ago. Has been asymptomatic all these years. Living good life but last year losing so much weight to be bony too skinny at 6.5 lbs down from 16 lbs no matter how much I feed him. He is always hungry but always was since he was feral save cat.
    Took to vet and they ran blood test with no results. all normal. No thoiroid or diabetes condition. Only thing not tested for was cancer. Eats, sleeps, climbs, etc all normally and has always vomited every couple of days a small amount from eating too much too quickly I think for all the years I 've had him. No problems with stools. Just worried with feline aids and his continual brittle scrawny look and need to steal food off the table.
    Has been more loving and needy then usual so I wonder if he knows the end is near.. I keep waiting for a sign that his quality of life is edging away and I need to take him for his last trip to the vet sooner than later. The vet had nothing to tell me last month other than watch. I guess this is a vent more than anything else.... Anyone else deal with old Feline aids kitty?

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Just sending hugs as I have no answers - wish I did, my little old man kitty needs the same. He's just so 'nothing left' but, on the other hand, he's eating albeit not a lot, he's peeing/pooping, he's grooming, his spirit wants to go on so much but his body just isn't cooperating. He doesn't have FiV but I don't think it's really any different - they're just getting ancient.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I hate cats having to get old (not too crazy about it for us people either). :( My Willow will be 17 in May and is thinner than she was in her younger years. I worry about keeping her weight up, but so far we have been able to maintain just at/under 7 lbs. She doesn't look 'brittle' or 'nothing left' but is just small, and bones like her shoulders can easily be felt, I assume due to age-related muscle loss. She has also gotten more 'loving and needy' as she has aged. From what I have read, I think these things are pretty normal for cats who are getting really old. On the other hand, if it is extreme, it could indicate an issue. It sounds like you have ruled out the most obvious one, hyperthyroidism. As long as Oscar is otherwise doing well, just enjoy the time you have with him. I think you are doing the right thing.. you tested for what you could, and you are just keeping an eye on him. :bighug:

Darwin H. likes this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you ask your vet for prescription food like Hills A/D or Purina CN? I have fed my older cats these to help keep some of their weight on.

Dusty Bones likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

:bighug: A few years ago i had a horse with similar symptoms. Starving all the time eating me out of house and home. Vet called it malabsorption and said it was fairly common in older animals (she was 27). I asked about cats and she said cats can get it too. For my horse, I added several supplements, pre and probiotics, digestive enzymes and some vitamin/minerals. I’ve had several cats that lived into their late teens and early 20’s, and most did get thinner as they aged so probably had some level of malabsorption. I did pretty much what you’re doing and just loved them and watched for when they were ready

Darwin H. likes this.
  6. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

After Dusty became diabetic both my cats went wet low carb Fancy Feast only. Beni my civie is 15 and Dusty is 14 so they're up there in age. Beni is kinda how you describe your cat, he just eats and eats and yet has been losing weight over the years especially since we went all wet. We switched to Weruva and they're both leaner and healthier now but that didn't help Beni with his weight loss. What I've been doing lately is supplementing his diet with dry food. I feed him a little Nutro Essentials in White fish and Brown rice flavor. My theory is the fiber will slow his digestive system down and he can absorb more nutrients. So far it's working, he has more energy, he feels a little more full, he feels better overall, and he's gaining weight. I just have to keep it out of reach of Dusty, no dry or high carb for him ever!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    MindyC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.