Fur loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Venita, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

DCIN is starting to work with a woman in New Orleans who has a diabetic, FIV+ cat, Buddy.

She and I are going to talk in depth next week. But she mentioned that Buddy had lost a strip of fur down his spine....similar to alopecia in humans. She wanted ideas as to what might be causing that.

So I ask you....ideas?

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

do not know about in cats but when my dog lost hair down his spine, it was due to allergic reaction to flea bites

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I'd also make sure -- and I know this sounds obvious, but sometimes people don't think of it -- there is nothing he could be in physical contact with that could be an irritant. It would be from squeezing under something, such as a heater or boiler, or something else like shrubbery, etc.

4. Maria & Suzie

Maria & Suzie Member

Fur mites (so small that you can't see them), hormone issues, sleeping on something hot (though that'd be more likely to be the belly that goes bare then...). Is he licking it? As in, the hair loss may be coming from the licking, forming a "hot spot", but the reason he is licking could be... back to fleas, allergies.... pinched nerve in spine that causes irritation....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.