New problem with Squirt

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Opalgal31, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

I just tried to give Squirt her morning injection and she moved. Either I accidentally stuck her or she was stretching (which she likes to do when I get ready to give her injection). Either way I got her fur wet. I do not know if she got any or not. What do I do now? She tested 533 four hours after her injection yesterday. Vet upped her dosage to 4 units and said she may be "insulin intolerant". Do I try to give her more, not knowing for sure if she got any the first time or do I just wait and make sure her evening injection makes it "in"!?

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

DO NOT GIVE ANY MORE. With a fur shot you can not tell if or how much insulin might have gotten into the system. Without knowing how much your kitty might have gotten if you give more it could cause a serious problem.

We all do fur shots from time to time. Even if she runs high for this cycle you just continue with the next shot at the regular time.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Thank you. I did not know which way to turn!

4. Tuxedo Mom

Also it would be very helpful if you could

You are welcome. In cases like a fur shot it is always best to err on the side of caution. :)

Also it would be very helpful for both yourself and any others who might need to offer advice for you to set up a spreadsheet and also to set up a signature line with information such as date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of food fed. I can't tell if you are home testing or not, but considering the higher dose of insulin your vet has Squirt on it would be much safer if you could test before each shot and again a few hours after each shot. This will give a much better picture of how well the insulin is working than the occasional test at the vet's office.

Here is information on setting up a spreadsheet:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here are some tips on home testing:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

If you have any problems with the spreadsheet or questions about home testing...or anything else....please just ask. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Correct!

We've probably all given 'fur shots' at some time or other. Relax. Don't worry.
    Reassuring (((hug))) to you.... :bighug:

Eliz

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm with Mary Ann. If you'd set up a spreadsheet, then when you want to some help, we can give better advice, seeing her history.

Four units is a big dose. How did your vet get there? We suggest starting at one unit and increasing slowly by 0.25 or 0.5 units. It sounds like you are home testing, which is great. What kind of food is Squirt eating? We find dry high carb can really elevate sugar levels.

It is possible that she is a high dose kitty, but we may have other thoughts for you if you give us more information.

7. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Squirt was originally set up for 2 units and then three and now four (all by vet). Right now I am seeing a vet twice a week and he does not charge me to get her set up on a working dose for her. I do intend to start my own testing as I work and I can't take off every few days to have her tests when I can do it myself. I have watched my vet and on line how the testing is done. I will get the spreadsheet set up. Her original test was in the 400's, then down to 200's and yesterday up to 533. Could have been a one-time high but she had not responded to the treatment at all. Thanks

8. Tuxedo Mom

Thank you for the information. Many kitties will show higher numbers at the vets due to stress, so the glucose readings your vet gets may not be accurate. Hometesting is much less stressful (and cheaper) than having it done at the vets office. If you test before each shot and then a few hours afterwards and if possible a few hours after that when possible...(I believe I saw that you are using Novolin)...you will get a good picture on how well or how fast the insulin works and how low it can bring the numbers. Often if the numbers drop too fast or too far the kitties numbers will "bounce" up higher because of counter-regulatory hormones the body releases causing stored glucose (glucogen) to be released, since the body "thinks" the higher numbers are normal and tries to keep them there. It can take a while for the body to get used to being in more normal numbers. So if a test were done at the vets when your kitty's numbers were bouncing it would look like more insulin was needed when in fact the same amount or even less may be called for. Home testing and setting up a spreadsheet will be valuable tools to see what is really happening.

I have 2 diabetic kitties....neither one of them was "excited" about starting to have their ears poked for the testing, but they both got used to it and don't "hate" me. One even walks over to the test mat and sits down to wait...he knows he gets either a meal or a treat after and he is VERY food motivated. My other kitty ( who is the more difficult one) will sit quietly when I do the poke, but I have to bring her to the test area...she walks away when she sees her brother being tested :) She likes cuddles and brushing so that is her "treat" after testing. If your vet were diabetic you better believe they would test before each shot and several times during the day to monitor glucose levels. People can tell when they are feeeling "off" when the glucose numbers drop too low, but our kitties can't tell us and going into hypo numbers can be very dangerous, expensive to treat and sometimes deadly if the numbers are too low and it is not noticed. Home testing is the best way to keep our kitties safe as well as see how well the insulin and dosage is working.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Which insulin are you using?

10. Tuxedo Mom

From her first post:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/squirt-and-i.156368/#post-1656544

Opalgal31 said it is Novolin

"I feed her 1/3 can wet food/Meow Mix and in the evening Fancy Feast 1/3 a can fish. Also a little dry Hill WD. Vet is ok with what I give her. Trouble is she also finishes the other cats food the minute she gets a chance. Insulin is Novolin provided by vet"

scoobydoox likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You don't need to take off from work to test. You test before each shot, your home then. One before you go to bed if possible so you know Squirt is safe for the night. Then you grab a test anytime in between when you are home. If you are home on weekends or a day during the week that's when you do a curve. It really is work friendly.

Critter Mom and scoobydoox like this.
  12. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. I plan on getting testing equipment tomorrow after work as well as start the spreadsheet. Squirt already comes to me most days to get her injection after eating so I assume testing will not be too difficult with her

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Tuxedo Mom

Wonderful!! It is very empowering to be able to see what the glucose numbers are doing. That way we can keep them safe. [​IMG]

Olive & Paula and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  14. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

I have a question. I went and purchased Meter and accessories from Wal-Mart and was so shocked at what testing strips cost. How can you test 2-5 times a day when they cost that much or did I goof with what I purchased? I bought "OneTouch Verio", RelioOn lancing device and 100 test strips for the Verio. Are there cheaper reliable testers out there?

15. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I think most people use Relion meters--I believe the strips are very affordable.
    I am sure some others will have more info --
    bump

16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK but from what I've read here about US members' meter choices the most frequent recommendations have been for the Relion family of meters (from Walmart with the Relion branding, but also available from ADW under the Glucogard brand). The Confirm and Micro strips need a small sample size and the strips are very reasonably priced. The Relion Prime strips are, I believe, the best value of the lot but they need a larger sample size.

Mogs

17. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

I paid $150 for 100 test strips. Seems way too high for me. I am going to take them back unopened as I feel there has to be a cheaper way to go

18. Critter Mom

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's more expensive than Alphatrak strips!!! Definitely a smart move to try to get your money back.

Mogs

19. Critter Mom

Just looked at the latest prices on strips from Wally World:

Relion Confirm/Micro 100 strips: USD 35.88

Relion Prime 100 strips: USD 17.88

Both meters are under USD 15.00.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=relion

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  20. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

I'm using the ReliOn Micro, it takes a very tiny drop which is really nice! I walked out of Walmart just under $26 for the meter kit and 20 strips. I didn't want to be out a lot if I couldn't get the testing to work. The strips are very reasonable, it's $8.98 for 20, $18.98 for 50, or $35.98 for 100, at least thats local here in OKC

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  21. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Thank you one and all for your input. I don't know where I would be without this message board. It is s God send. Thanks again!!

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  22. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Can't return expensive mistake but I went ahead and purchased the lesser expensive one and will use it once the strips are used up. What a stupid mistake! Live and learn. The important thing is that Squirt get well/or at least controlled on her diabetes. The rest is not important!

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

ouch! Well, keep it as a emergency meter maybe? Use the cheaper one normally, but its nice to have a backup just in case. That or possibly sell it on ebay or craigslist....you'll take a loss on those though :(

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Critter Mom

Great that you managed to get the meter. Yay! :)

I think @Sarah Smith's suggestion to keep the other meter as a backup is a good idea.

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  25. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

I agree on keeping the expensive one as an extra. Great idea. Last night I was getting ready to go somewhere and Squirt actually came to me meowing as I had not given her her injection. It must be making her feel better. Yea! Tonite I try to test

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  26. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

I do believe they know we are trying to help them, even if some are still less then patient with us when we try :) Hoping she is easy on you with the testing tonight. Everything with Cooter is easier with food, and I've found if I cracked the seal on his can of food he gets occupied sniffing at it and it's easier for me to check him if he's in a mood at test time. Good luck :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

So do I. Not a doubt in my mind. :)

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  28. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Well test went absolutely nowhere. She would not let me touch her ears Then this morning she would not let me give her injection. Later when the other cats weren't around she allowed me to give her injection with no trouble. Evidently having the other kitties there did not bode well with her. Will have to get her used to my touching her ears before trying again

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

I am not sure but I don't think Squirt has urinated since this morning. I have 4 litter boxes in basement and one on main floor so can't be certain but she usually uses the one on the main floor. I am worried. What should I do? She isn't acting weird. I still have not been able to test her. How do you get them to cooperate. She even fights me now in her shots. Her sugar was at 315 Sat and vet upped it to 5 units. Sat I shampooed hallway carpet so not sure if that stopped her from using upstairs litter box

30. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Try to desensitize her for testing. Start by choosing a place that will be your testing place. Take her there several times a day and pet her and give her a treat and let her go. When she's relaxed about that, begin rubbing her ears a bit, then the treat and let her go. Gradually increase the ear rubs, until she's calm about it before you add the prick and test. Remember to take a deep breath and relax before you take her to the test area. She will pick up on your apprehension and will react. The same for injection time, be relaxed but determined.

Critter Mom and Misterbeesmom like this.
  31. Sieden

Sieden Member

I 100% agree with not giving more insulin in this case but I did want to mention something else. Let's say that you stick the needle in and the cat jumps which makes the needle come out but you didn't squirt any and it's all still in the syringe, then it's okay to restick with the same syringe.

32. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Thank you. I did not know what to do. Thanks for all the good advice!

33. Opalgal31

Opalgal31 New Member

Just a quick note: Squirt was both drinking water and urinating this morning so just a "newbe" apprehension. Sorry!

Sharon14 likes this.
  34. Critter Mom

Yay for the pee! :D (And it's not just a newbie thing. ;) )

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.