Gabapentin question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angel's mommie, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

If I may ask a question about our civvie Akie, she's been put on gabapentin for her arthritis, but immediately developed bad diarrhea (which is one of gabapentin's possible side effects) that got worse over two days. I'll call the vet on Monday, and have stopped the gabapentin of course, but was wondering if anyone has experience with this -- e.g. any hope the diarrhea will go away after a while? Thank you. I do know about the other things one can do for feline arthritis, so am only asking about experiences with gabapentin.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

My kitty is on Gabapentin daily (up to 3 times a day depending on his symptoms). We started out with a very small dose once a day to see if he tolerated that, and then slowly increased over a couple of weeks. He may just have been lucky in not getting digestive issues with it, or it may be that he tolerated it better by starting at a low dose and working up. Honestly don't know..

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat was on Gabapentin... It made her loopy and tired but don't think it does a whole lot for the arthritis for CC.. She did have a little diarreah from time to time.... not sure if it was from that though... I don't think it was. others have had different results and found Gab helpful... I think it raised her numbers. I finally started getting some yellow preshots once I stopped it.. I suggest you ask your vet about Adequen injections for the arthritis. I think it has more of an impact.

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Have you considered adequan ? It has been a miracle for many of us-I started my boys at 15 and they are now 19 and 20 and easliy go up and down 4 flights of stairs. They also get green lipid mussel and efa's--canna pet too. I give my non diabetic dasaquan but it raised my diabetics BG.

If I could only do 1 thing it would be adequan--- I think vets that don't offer it should be fined, just my opinion.
    It is also helpful with urinary issues. Is SQ an easily dosed.

AT 15 we did the loading dose then every month we now do every week and if I notice discomfort as soon as 4 days. It helps the pain and it slows the progression of arthritis. Canna pet helps very much on my chubby boy with bad knees. It is very safe and tiny capsule I give his 2 a day if needed 3.
    No worries of drug interaction.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ok so I'm not the only one who notices a raise in bg from dasuquin. Also the gaba seemed to raise her bg. Cc had been getting the adequan every week too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Definitely raised bg with Dre which sucks because he can really benefit from it.
    I am doubling his canna pet which has to my surprise been helping him dramatically.
    He is heavy almost 20 pounds I give him the canna pet advanced large pet. No negative side effects
    He gets adequan canna green lipid mussel and efa’s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.