Gandalf 3.27 +10 263 ~ .5U

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Yes, you read that correct. I gave Gandalf a split dose this AM at +10 and will give the other half at +12. I'm doing this because he's running high, although if you note his spreadsheet, his numbers have been fairly steady on these splits yesterday and this AM. Which I see as a good thing. I also will try the earlier split technique tomorrow AM to get him back to 7:15AM shot time, so tomorrow shots will be half doses at 8AM/10AM, then full dose at 8PM and full dose at 7:15AM Monday AM. I'm leaving earlier for work now so I can get out earlier with the nicer weather.

We accept that steady "high" numbers (over 200 but not dangerously high like 400+) may mean dose is too high. We're at the lowest regular dose he's ever had at 1U, which compared to my old micrometer scale is only .8U back when his good doses were 1.2U on that scale. I know that's difficult to wrap brains around - I've had to recheck what I wrote on spreadsheet to be sure I was stating it correctly. Going back over spreadsheet, especially in December when dose was down to my old scale 1U, it's clear he is needing less. On March 3rd when I discovered a 54 at +8 after 313 PMPS that dose was his old 1.2U and new 1.3U/old 1.1U produced a fairly distinct bounce of 470 after 180 PMPS.

Is there ANY documentation ANYWHERE that pancreatitis can create a need for less insulin AFTER the fact, meaning when they are not having flares and are eating well? I can't fathom any action which would create less need and I'm not saying the pancreas is awakening. Perhaps healing from the pancreatitis? Nodules present in November are gone.

The only other thing I've changed is his diet with giving him 2oz of raw/raw mix every day. There are minimal carbs in it. But frankly I can see the raw having a greater factor in a lower insulin need than pancreatitis. He's also being fed foods lower in fat than previous.

Thoughts?

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

+2 to .5U ~ 223 .5U

Tonight's PMPS will be at +12 to this second .5U dose.

Will get some spot checks tomorrow on same schedule. My only concern is he drops too low on the splits done this way.

3. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

"Is there ANY documentation ANYWHERE that pancreatitis can create a need for less insulin AFTER the fact, meaning when they are not having flares and are eating well? I can't fathom any action which would create less need and I'm not saying the pancreas is awakening. Perhaps healing from the pancreatitis? Nodules present in November are gone.

The only other thing I've changed is his diet with giving him 2oz of raw/raw mix every day. There are minimal carbs in it. But frankly I can see the raw having a greater factor in a lower insulin need than pancreatitis. He's also being fed foods lower in fat than previous.

Thoughts?"

Well, the pancreatitis is stressful so it would make sense that when he is feeling well his insulin needs may be less. As you know though cats insulin needs do change over time for whatever reason. Sometimes there isn't any rhyme or reason to it.

Glad he is feeling well though. As far as the raw goes, that has got to make his IBD issues improve and probably is making him feel better as well. :)

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

How about this: p-titis seems to "simmer" with little symptoms that you can see for a while. But maybe a higher BG is one of the signs, but if the visible "flare up" causes even higher BGs, you/we aren't aware that the previous BGs were elevated. Then, kitty gets over the flare and pancreas continues to heal and BGs drop below the "simmer" stage, which might give you the pattern you are seeing.

I bet that the raw food is helping to moderate the flares so they are shorter and less intense - and maybe his pancreas IS healthier now than it has been for quite some time, even if it is not 100% healthy. And, as Pamela pointed out, the raw could be helping the entire "triad" to be less inflamed because the IBD is less. That makes sense because IBD inflammation can spread up to the pancreas and liver.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

PMPS 249 ~ 1U

I'll take it. Feel like I did really good for him the past couple days. He hasn't had a 300+ in over 48 hours. I know it's still over renal threshold, but this is an improvement. Doing splits twice on weekends when I work late both Friday & Saturday may be just what's needed to keep him from ballooning at some point. I feared I would see a 300+ this AM if I waited until +12 to shoot.

As for raw and IBD, I know the radiologist sees it on ultrasound and maybe it's mild, but Gandalf doesn't present with IBD symptoms like constipation or diarrhea. My vet is not convinced he needs any meds for it so we don't treat it. There was one thing we spoke about, but it was a type of steroid if I remember right.

Sheila, the inflammation theory makes sense to me. Thanks! (You posted before I sent this)

I'd rather give him the raw! Especially if it has this result, although I'm struggling to find what's the best dose for him now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.