? GB 46+3 pmps 313? Bouncing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clark, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark Member

Don't understand. So low to high. Lowest +3 highest 313 pmps. Going to give small does still. Check +3. Took me few trys to get blood. .25 still want to give. .5 droped her low.

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I've seen my cat jump 300 points in 1 or 2 hours from a bounce.
    There is a post (I think from Kris and Teasel) that explains the bounce really well. I will try to find it for you.
    The numbers are expected to raise in the last part of the cycle and adding a bounce from the low numbers just makes it a bigger and faster increase.

3. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Here it is.
    Written by Kris & Teasel
    "Here's the thing I wrote to explain bouncing to someone else:

Here's how it works:

1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Kitty's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a starting dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing.
    7. Many vets have little/no understanding of the bouncing phenomenon."

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, the high number is very normal response after a lower-than-normal BG at some point in the cycle. 0.25 may not have been enough insulin for this cycle, but we often say around here that it is better too high for a day than too low for a moment. Do get that +3 test though so you can see the response on this small dose. Good job keeping your kitty safe today! Hang in there!

StephG likes this.
  5. Clark

Clark Member

Thanks.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Well, it was an exciting evening! I was away from my computer but I see you had good help from others. That's what makes this such a good place for people with an FD kitty. That high number at pre shot is not a surprise at all after the lows yesterday. I hope that description of bouncing helped you understand what happens.

The yellow 205 you got at +5 last night is expected: the PM dose yesterday was small and Charlie was in a bounce phase. The data you get today will be very important in showing you how she responds after an episode like yesterday's. :)

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Also, this tells us 0.5U is too much for the lower preshot of 193. Are you sticking with 0.25U today? And are we officially just sticking with U.S. numbers? :smuggrin:

8. Clark

Clark Member

310 amps eating. .5 seem ok? Or .25. yesterday not sure why she dropped.

9. Yong & Maury GA

I think 0.5U is OK for today. She may stay a little flat, which is fine :). Probably dropped yesterday due to lower pre-shot number.

10. Clark

Clark Member

Yah. Thanks

11. Clark

Clark Member

88 at +3 at .5

12. Kris & Teasel

That's quite a big drop from the AM preshot test. I recommend testing at +4/+5/+6 to see what this 0.5 unit dose is doing. Post those numbers here as soon as you get them. She 's not yet at nadir at +3 so we really need those other tests for info.

13. Clark

Clark Member

3 4 done. Fed ff +4 tested +4.5. Both 88

14. Kris & Teasel

OK. Those are good numbers as long as she hangs on to them. Please get a + 5 and +6 too. If they stay around the same level, we say she's "surfing" - a very good thing. The pink this AM was likely a bounce number from yesterday's lows but it didn't last long - also a good thing. The goal right now is to establish whether 0.5 u given on a pink preshot number is a good dose or not. Many people have to adjust dose AM and PM depending on the preshot number. It becomes a case of: between BG of ____ and ___, give dose x and if BG is between ____ and ____, give dose y. That's called a sliding scale. We don't know yet if that's what Charlie needs.

15. Clark

Clark Member

Ok thanks. I hope she continues to ride the wave.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

I see the blue at +5. Was the FF you fed her a gravy type (high carb)?

17. Clark

Clark Member

No. Pate. Chicken

18. Clark

Clark Member

She ate quite a bit.

19. Kris & Teasel

I'm trying to gauge whether the blue is a food spike (it might be partially) or whether she has an early nadir and by +5 she's on the upswing. This is the sort of data base you're building with all these tests. How is she tolerating them?

20. Clark

Clark Member

She can fidgit a bit. She still gets little frustrated with me poking at her. The last one she was fighting with me a bit. The first two she was half asleep. Idk if it make a difference.

21. Kris & Teasel

Doesn't sound too bad but it's really important to persist with testing at times like this. After you get a +6 you can probably give her a break until PMPS - unless she pulls a fast one!

22. Clark

Clark Member

I have to pull her from her favorite box she went in after the last one. I've done it before. I want to know. Im understanding how this works, more confident. I was looking through some other charts. Ive been fortunate.

23. Kris & Teasel

:):):)

24. Clark

Clark Member

+6 110. She wasn't to happy but she got to snack after. Positive reinforcement . And in happy with # curious what she goes up to.

Djamila likes this.
  25. Kris & Teasel

Looking good. You can leave her or, if you're feeling ambitious and want another data point for your SS, test again at +8 or +9.

26. Clark

Clark Member

Ok. Thanks. If she is I won't do it under 200. To 200-260. .25. 260 above .5? How does that sound. And if im not sure I'll be safe. No shot. And I'll check +3 either way. I won't be able sleep if I don't.

27. Clark

Clark Member

Well she came down pretty fast from 313. Unless she is above 300 I'll give .25. above 300 .5.

28. Kris & Teasel

Please clarify: do you mean above 200, give 0.25 u?. It's a lot of guess work at the beginning. Testing and logging data is the way we figure it out. You seem to be in the groove. :)

29. Clark

Clark Member

Im giving .25. if she is below 300. Above 300. .5. she was never above 270 untill she bounced.

30. Kris & Teasel

OK. Understood.

31. Kris & Teasel

Checked your SS and saw the 185 PMPS. The 0.25 u dose seemed to be fine, based on the +3 test. It'll be interesting to see how she does today. She has the look of a kitty who won't be on insulin long. :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  32. Clark

Clark Member

Im going to check +3 +4 +5 seems like at point I have to be so careful. She is eating lots. Energy back. It was 260 this morning. She ate few time at night. And has ate good amount this morning. Its seems like she still needs a .5 .25. but not for long. The vet said if she is that low of does she doesn't need to be on insulin. I think she still needs a little help. I want her pancreas to be ready to take over. I

33. Kris & Teasel

Yes to the small doses for a little while. I think you've been reading about that on FDMB, right? It also seems that you've quickly gotten into the testing groove. :)

34. Clark

Clark Member

Yes. And her #:s are bit up today. She ate last night few times. . And today. Suspect that's why.

35. Yong & Maury GA

As long as she doesn't eat 2 hours before your pre-shot test, that's fine :). She's looking very nice!

36. Clark

Clark Member

Yup. I don't want to get my hopes up. But from what I've seen and read looks like she might go into remission.

37. Yong & Maury GA

I'm sure you know this but you will have to keep her on the low carb / current diet for life and still do spot check BG tests.

38. Clark

Clark Member

Oh yah. I switched her within 3 days of finding out that's what cats need to manage. I feel very fortunate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.