Gingers SS (Testing)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori in Ohio, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

2. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you've gotten the spread sheet up and running. I read your previous thread where you explained that your vet wanted you to give lantus once a day, and I hope you will go back to twice a day. Once you've got some data in your spreadsheet, it will become much clearer to you what Ginger needs. I will also reiterate what others have said about having some patience with lantus and letting it build up in her system.

Good luck and stay strong :)

Jen

4. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Yes, I worked on (figuring out) the spreadsheet today and also my signature to include the SS and her info.

And yes, I will be giving her 1 unit, 2x per day, 12 hours apart for the rest of this week.

5. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Ginger's mommy - looks like you're off to a good start. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but have you considered feeding Ginger low-carb canned food? It's very helpful in moving those BG numbers down...

6. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Good for you with your spreadsheet all set up! With dosing twice a day and testing, you'll be able to see what the lantus does after it settles in. Takes some time, sometimes, for it to settle, so there is some patience that you might need! After that, you can move ahead and you'll have the data you need to determine the best dosing options as you go along. GREAT JOB!

7. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

I just noticed that Ginger is a beautiful tortie like my Calliope! Calliope had a tortitude when it came to testing! Ha! We went through some drama. Otherwise, she was a sweetheart of a kitty, very loving even after I made her mad. Torties are special kitties, of course! :D

8. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Dear SaraJaye,

Maybe eventually. Normally she refuses to eat wet food, but recently I caught her trying some that I give to the other cats.
    She took about 3 bites of it, and has done so several times.
    Yesterday I tried giving her the wet when I gave some to the other cats, she again took only 3 bites.
    But in the future, I will try to wean her off the dry food.
    The EVO is so expensive anyway.

But then again, her sugar has been high and she is confused. lol

The other 2 cats will eat real chicken, real shrimp and treats. She wont touch any of that.

9. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

I was lucky in that Calliope took to the wet food right away. She gobbled it up. I got the EVO for the others as I weaned them. I had to keep that on a table for them to eat. At the time, Calliope had neuropathy from the FD and she couldn't jump well, so she didn't try to get to it. Eventually, she did and that's when the dry went away for good, but the others were pretty much eating the wet, regularly, by then.

For the others, I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top of the wet to entice them and that helped. I also put some of their treats on top, on occasion. The only thing about putting anything dry on the wet food is that you can't leave dry that becomes moist down for very long because it grows bacteria or other things that aren't good. My cats are all grazers. None of them eats an entire meal at once. That's a good thing, though, expecially for Calliope. She scarfed and barfed, at first, when her bg was high and she was starving, but that stopped pretty quickly once we got on lantus and her bg started coming down.

My kitties all love Halo Liv a Little treats. They aren't cheap and I had to order them in the internet because my pet stores didn't carry them, but so many folks here used them, so I got a jar. I crushed the freeze dried chicken up to sort of a powder and sprinkled it on top of the food. Some of them liked that.

You could also ask your vet about getting some forti flora. Sprinkled on food entices a lot of kitties to eat. Dr. Lisa has likened it to putting salt and pepper on the food to make it test better, if I recall correctly. In fact, she keeps the expired packets for just that reason. I had trouble pilling one of my kitties recently and she wouldn't take the pill pockets. I got hairball treat with that gooey stuff in the middle, stuffed the pill in it and then rolled the treat in the forti flora and she scarfed it right up, miss finicky herself! That's another idea you might try and, by the way, my vet gave me some for free that had just expired. Worked like a charm. I also sprinkled on top of some food when one of my others wouldn't eat after a dental and it helped there, too.

10. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Yes Ginger is a tortie and such a good kitty.
    She has a black moustache! lol

I am not sure if she can jump that high anymore to a countertop. She will jump on the bed, chair or couch tho.
    Putting the dry food on the counter for the other cats, and have her give me "the look".......ummm I dont think I could handle it. lol

11. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

If the other cats are eating that wet food, already, that's great!

I actually had a table on my sunroom, like a dining table and the other cats would jump to the chair and then on the table. Calliope didn't really know it was up there for a long time. She never saw me put it there and I had the EVO in a feeder. Since my cats are all grazers, they all eat when they feel like it. I leave the wet food down all day and put new out at night. They come and go.

Ginger is a beautiful kitty!!!

Check on the forti flora. It might help you entice Ginger with the wet food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.