Giving food with insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by njlarry, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njlarry

njlarry Member

First, thank you for a great site. I have learned so much already about my newly diagnosed Chessie. Still much to learn.
    I currently give him his insulin at am and pm mealtimes. Since the insulin takes a while to work, I wonder if it might be better to only give him half and the rest of the portion several hours latter to spread the glycemic load.
    He and I are still learning how to do BG testing but he seems to stay 200 to 330 through out the day.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If I am understanding correctly, you are only feeding twice daily before or with shots. Most of us feed multiple times per day with no food being given for two hours before each shot so that pre-shot BG tests are not food influenced.

What insulin are you using because that would make a difference to how you'd best split up meals.

3. njlarry

njlarry Member

I am using Prozink. I was told that it would be easier to give the insulin while he's eating. Since he gets two injections a day, he ends up two meals a day. Although he has access to his brothers hard food, he really prefers his canned food.
    I am thinking that since it takes a while for the insulin to work, it might be better to feed him several hours later?
    I am not very good at getting BG but he seems to range 250 to 350 all day. He was 480 to 500 before therapy.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You should make sure he will eat and has some food on board with his shot (shooting while he's eating is fine) but there is no reason to withhold food until the next shot. Just decide if you want to split his food into 4 or even 6 helpings. I'd be inclined to give more at shot time and less at the other feedings just so you know he is eating well when you give the insulin. Just remember to pick up any food two hours prior to shot time so any pre-shot tests are not food influenced.

Are you giving Chessie a treat when you test even if the test is not successful? That often helps make kitty co-operate a little more.

If you need more tips to make testing easier or have any other questions, please post over HERE on the Health board where there is a lot more traffic and you'll get a lot more replies. :)

5. njlarry

njlarry Member

Thank you all so much.
    Will do, and yes Chessie gets his treats.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.