glucometers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by thekidinthehall, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekidinthehall

thekidinthehall New Member

Hi All,

I have been managing two cats wth diabetes for the past 8 years. Yesterday one cat ( the other one recently died- but they are both almost 20 years old) had a blood sugar crisis. She was completely paralyzed and her sugar was not registering on the meter. The vet said that I can't use a regular meter anymore and that their are special meters for cats. I didn't find any online. Has this been other folks experience?
    he also insiisted on switching her from humilin N to Lantus- I agreed but was hesitant because she has overreacted to lantus in the past. Any thoughts??????

Deborah

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most caretakers here use human meters. I consider the animal meters (e.g., AlphaTrac) more accurate but the human ones work fine. Lantus is a good insulin. Five of my six are on Lantus. What do you mean by over reacted? What dose of N is the cat on?

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can use any Human blood glucose meter. I don't know why your vet said otherwise unless it was to sell an animal specific meter and get a commission.

AlphaTack and iPet are two animal meters that I know of. Both are more expensive than a Human blood glucose meter and you can't buy them or the test strips at a Human pharmacy.

Lantus is a great insulin to use. Read the stickies over on the Lantus group to understand how it works: viewforum.php?f=9

4. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

Most here use human meters. What meter were you using that the vet didn't like? It might be that others here have had issues with that meter as well. A lot of people here seem to use a meter from Walmart, but the nearest Walmart to me is like 30-40 miles away (Seattle has a very vocal anti-walmart crowd). So I got mine from Bartell Drug (Wavesense Presto), it has worked very well for me and has been very consistent. When I have questioned a reading and tried a second test it has always been within 10 points of the first try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.