Glucose Urine Test Strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Can someone give me some guidance on what the results of these strips mean and what the results should be. Thanks

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The glucose test strips don't tell you what the glucose is at that moment, just that over the past few days the glucose levels were over the Renal threshold and spilled jnto the urine. To really test the bg you need to do a blood test.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Also, if only using the urine test strips you want to always have glucose in the urine. If not glucosen then actual BG may be too low.

4. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Ok I was just asking bc the vet said I would be using the urine strips and that I wasn't him to have a trace of glucose but not a ton. I think she is saying for him to be regulated he would have a trace? I do check his blood on a daily basis twice a day before feeding. Just wasn't sure what it meant if the color was the highest of them all on the urine stick. I'm know it means theres a lot of glucose that's about it.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Glucose is over about 250 in order for it to show up in the glucose. Blood tests are much more accurat.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

That's pretty much all the information that the urine glucose test gives, it tells you there was a lot of it in the urine which in the end means he's been on high numbers (over 250) for at least some hours, the really important information in the urine strips is the ketones, you want to make sure there isn't any, and if some start showing then you know you have to start treating him ASAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.