GOBBLES GI UPDATE - At a loss...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - Fecal NEGATIVE for parasites...

uh-oh. Does this mean a return of the "LB Cam?" ;-)

I'm not sure exactly what the blue/bolded quote means either. But I do believe that the test the vet ran for Giardia.... I think giardia is a protozol infection.

2. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Re: GOBBLES GI UPDATE - Fecal NEGATIVE for parasites...

Thanks Carl! Yes, the trusty deercam may have to be set up in the basement! I almost put it outside near the treestand as bowhunting season is in 23 days (but whose counting???)....

3. TheBowHuntress

Well, today is Day 6 (doses 11 & 12) of flagyl. His fecal test was negative. He is not drinking and eating enough. He still has diarrhea. The cypro is not really helping his appetite. I have been giving him pepcid. I have been giving him renew. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I found another very tiny lump at the top of his back leg; like the other one he had last month (had a fine needle aspiration-nothing abnormal) that has since healed over. He really isn't excited about HC.

Other than take him to the vet, which is not going to happen as it is not in our budget, I do not know what to do. I am thinking to just eliminate the metamucil and renew and cypro, to see if it makes any difference. I have tried several different flavors/brands of food, cooked chicken, boiled ham, tuna juice...to no avail. I made him food in the blender with chicken, rice and chicken broth. I offered plain chicken broth. I tried baby food earlier today -- doesn't want the chicken but he licked the beef/beef broth (those are the only ingredients)--he did eat about a teaspoon of that. He actually ate a little Friskies Special Diet Ocean Whitefish....then I thought about it and I'm afraid that fish might upset it belly. However, if I eliminate all the foods I am trying, and not introduce anything new, maybe it would be best to just feed him that.

One thing I noticed: he eats a little bit at a time, but more frequent than reqular feeding. I would guess he's been eating like 8 "mini, mini meals" a day (1 tsp - 1 Tbs); like he is getting full quickly...or he's hungry, but can only get a small amount down at a time...could mean something....

Such a balancing act...very frustrating!

Although he doesn't appear dehydrated, I did give him a teaspoon of pedialyte and plan on giving him more in about an hour.

Here's my plan (though please feel free, anyone, to "chime in"):

Flagyl AM & PM
    Pepcid AM & PM
    Pedialyte (1 tsp AM & PM)
    Friskies Special Diet Ocean Whitefish (with water mixed in, ratio 2:1)

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions? ETA:

Maybe do the above for a day or two, then try cypro again if he is not eating? I've given him cypro 2x already (so at 7:30 pm, he will have had it in his system for 24 hours...)

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Gobby is still having a hard time. I don't have any solid suggestions, other than maybe you're trying too many different things, and his system doesn't have time to adjust to the changes. I've got three littermates with extremely sensitive digestive tracts, and any time I make a change (usually because a stupid manufacturer changes/"improves" a formula that is working to one that doesn't agree with them), it takes at least a week or so for their bodies to adapt to the new food (and that goes both ways - whether they adapt "well", or whether they can't digest it".)

Or, maybe Gobby had developed IBD, which could possibly require certain meds, including flagyl and (unfortunately) possibly prednisone. Also unfortunately, a vetty would have to make that determination.

I hope you find an answer...sending prayers your way.

5. BorisV

BorisV Member

Kat - my breeder told me that Royal Canin makes a "gastro intestinal" food, both dry & wet - obviously, you'd want the wet :D SOME Pertsmarts carry it but not all - but you need a prescription. Just an idea. :roll:

6. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Bern....but guess what--the little brat hates it (I found it at Pet Supplies Plus....); that was one of the foods I returned the other day :-(

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am running (sorry for the pun) into the same issues with Tiggy but I think here you haven't maybe let any one thing go long enough..I agree with Amy.. Maybe too many changes at once. I think I read a cats digestive system takes 2 days to fully pass stuff so you won't know for a couple of days if anything is working... And if its mild IBD it could take even longer to respond. I have been trying 1 change a week. You might want to go back to square one.. Original food.

Also I wonder about stress colitis. This started after his road trip to the reunion right? Maybe he doesn't travel as well as you think?

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Kat, I mentioned fasting for 12 hours the other day. Did you consider this to see if it helps clear out his system or is there a reason you don't want to fast Gobbles? Sending prayers to you and Gobbles.

9. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Oh, my, just seeing that Gobbles has not been feeling to sell the past few day!!! So sorry to hear that. Not sure if there is anything I can add to what others have said, so I am sending feel better vines to your boy. Poor thing. I hope his butt doesn't hurt him to much. I'll be checking in later to see if there is any change.

Feel better, Gobbles!!!
    Hugs, Kat.

10. TheBowHuntress

There's not a "valid" reason for me to do that, other than he's very pathetic and insistent in the morning to be fed. I If I do that, shouldn't I at least give him pedialyte if he isn't drinking water? I have not actually seen him drink water since early in his FD journey when his BG was high.

11. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

"IF" it is IBD, raw food should work

12. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I agree with others that you may be trying too many things at once and not giving the change a chance.

I'm wondering if there may be a food allergy to one of the common ingredients like fish, chicken or beef. If you try this, it takes a while to see if it works. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 41&aid=142

Try food with a unique protein, like the Natural Balance limited ingredient diets Duck and green pea or Venison and green pea. (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/produc ... t+Formulas)

13. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Hi Kat,

I posted this morning, but don't know where it went. Others have already mentioned this, but I wanted to add:

My cat Pooh-Bear also had a granuloma on this tongue. Years later he developed loss of appetite & started wasting away, despite a clean bill of health & blood panel, except for a small heart mumur.

At the time I somehow linked the granuloma to a possible early warning for IBD. Others have mentioned IBD as well, so I would agree. Also, as others mentioned, switching foods too quickly can cause upset as well. Lastly, as others mentioned, food allergies can also cause similar reactions. These would be my 3 areas of initial focus.

I hope Gobbles is back to his usual self soon - sending healing vines to you!

14. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Kat,
    I am sorry Gobbles appy and poo are not improving....
    I know how frustrating you must be feeling....

You know, those prescription diet foods that are sold at the vet, d/d or hypoallergenic kinds, I think what makes them "hypoallergenic" or "better for sensitive tummy" is the protein they use for these food, except z/d.
    They use protein that are a little "unusual" such as duck or venison.
    Sometimes, cats (or us) can develop an allergy to something after being OK with it for years.
    So, maybe, you could try some food made with protein that he hasn't tried much before?
    When Lucy was first diagnosed with IBD years ago, she was first fed z/z, which she quickly got fed up with.
    And then royal canin hypoallegenic which is made of duck, which she no longer eats. :lol:
    But she did pretty well on duck.
    I've also been thinking that maybe I should try feeding her some commercial food made with novel proteins, instead of her current Wellness Turkey, which she also did pretty well for years until recently.
    The one I'm thinking about trying is Nature's Variety's Instinct Duck Formula.
    According to the Dr. Lisa's list, carb is 1% and phosphorus is also low, so it should be good as far her FD and CKD is concerned.
    The fat is a little high, so I'm concerned for her pancreatitis.
    I'm introducing this to her slowly, as a treats at first. So far she seems to like the taste.
    They also make Venison Formula. Carb is 0, but phos is high.
    Also, Evanger's makes foods for dogs and cats, that are just protein, with meats like duck or rabbits.
    But these have no other essential stuff cats need such as taurine,so I guess I'd have to mix some vitamins,minerals and such if I am to try their cans.

Since Gobbles is already only eating a little bit at a time, maybe you can try these different protein a little bit at a time, and see if he seems to be feeling better?
    I really do understand how frustrating this is! :-x

15. TheBowHuntress

Hi Carla! I did the 12 hour fast last night: put food up at 8:15 pm and then put food down at 8:15 am this morning--he ate more than he has been--at least 2 tablespoons! Paws crossed, this helps! He cried for food last night but instead of feeding him, I directed him to the water bowl and went to bed...

16. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Mariko. I fasted him last night then fed him what he was eating two weeks ago that did not cause any problems (and haven't fed him that food since last night). If that doesn't work, I may try a novel protein, but I have to be careful with the fat content because his cholesterol and trigylcerides are elevated (and have been for quite a while). Yes, it is frustrating!

17. TheBowHuntress

Thank you Suzanne, Debby, Dian, Deb and everyone else who has responded. I have "shaved" things down...starting at the beginning again. He took a dijon liqui-poo at 9:30 am this morning, which is 17.5 hours since his previous one at 4:30 pm yesterday.

18. Lkldcatlady

Lkldcatlady Well-Known Member

Hi Kat - I'm just seeing this! So sorry Gobbles is not feeling well. I will definitely be praying for the little fella! It's so stressful when you just don't know what to do. I really hope he gets feeling better soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.