Going to check Osiris' bg tomorrow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dragonwings, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonwings

Dragonwings New Member

Hey. I'm going to check Osiris' blood tomorrow to get a curve, and I could use some encouragement. I'm a little nervous as this will be the first time I've done something like this, so yeah. Hope all is well with you guys!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I am thinking this is your first try at hometesting, right? If so, I would set my sights on getting blood first. The curve can come after you and Osiris are both comfortable with the whole thing. Of course, if you are an immediate member of the Vampire Club, you can go on from there!

So I assume you have checked out the websites and read the info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm

And you have your supplies ready?

meter and strips
    vaseline (to put where you want to poke so the blood beads up)
    rice sack
    lancet
    treats

Have you sure used the meter on yourself so you know how it works? Have you put a flashlight behind his ear so you know where you want to poke? (You are aiming for the little capillaries that come off the vein running down the edge of the ear.)

The best advice I can give is - don't be discouraged if you don't get blood on the first try. Very few of us did. (It took us a weekend to get a drop) It may take a while to get your technique down. We usually say 3 tries and then a treat for the kitty and the human. Then come back on and we will bombard you with ideas/tips to help.

Oh, and remember to breathe. You will get this. We all did, eventually. It is wonderful that you are going to master this; it is so important in keeping Osiris safe.

3. Dragonwings

Dragonwings New Member

Man, this is a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but I think I'll try again at 10 (shhhh, don't tell Osiris XD). I haven't got blood yet, but I'll try. Osiris has been really good about this, so that's why I've decided to try again later on today. He's an awesome cat like that. I gave Osiris a treat though after the first couple of tries, which he was happy about of course. So yeah, definitely going to try again. Thanks for the advice. :)

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Let us know what the problem is. If you are not getting blood, sometimes it is an issue with the lancet. What size are you using? (The extra fine may be too light for the first pokes) Are you using the clear cap? (sometimes it makes it easier, but sometimes if you take it off, you can see better where you are aiming)

Do you have something behind the ear to poke against? Some people use folded kleenix or the rice sack. We used a tiny makeup sponge.

Are you really heating up the ear? That is so important for most kitties at first.

Let us help. Most of us had problems at first but got tips and advice that helped.

Don't give up. You can do this!

5. Dragonwings

Dragonwings New Member

I think I may have been aiming in the wrong spot. I think next time I'll just use the lancet instead of using it with the gun thingy. I was using a makeup sponge. I'll do my best!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you put the flashlight behind his ear, you should be able to see the big vein that runs up and down the side of the ear. You are aiming for the little capillaries that come off that vein toward the edge of the ear. Usually people aim down near the fold. Be sure to put a dab of vaseline on the spot you see with the flashlight so you will know exactly where to poke once the flashlight is gone.

Keeping fingers and paws crossed here for a good drop of blood.

7. Dragonwings

Dragonwings New Member

Yeah I was aiming in the wrong spot. I don't think I got enough blood though since I got a odd number. Waiting for the vet to call back though. Maybe it was just a user error. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.