good and bad news :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by abigailnmax, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abigailnmax

abigailnmax New Member

Well, I took Dixie (aka DEvil Kitty) to the vet and recieved good news. After 5 years of trying very hard, her fructosomine was considered good. 4.6 I believe was what the vet told me. The bad news: elevated BUN and Creatnine levels indicticating CRF.
    I am not happy..
    Dixie has been very hard to regulate and it has only been in the last year that we have been able to get her under control, she has also been bad about peeing outside the litter box.
    Now this....
    Anyone else have a cat with both diabetes and CRF?
    I know a little, and have looked at some websites. But what do I have to look foward to?
    Symptomwise, timeline, progression....

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I haven't had to deal too extensively with CRF recently; cancer took them first.

Take at look at this post.

3. Lylene & Barry

Lylene & Barry Member

Sorry to hear about the CRF. Like diabetes, it is treatable. Like diabetes, it's hard work. You do need to move really fast with this, though.

I currently have a cat with CRF and have dealt with it in the past. First thing I did with Scottie was got her off dry food (which they shouldn't be on anyway) and on a good canned food with added water. This is until I can get it together to start making their food. The less crap the kidneys have to filter, the better. Check websites to see if food comes in larger cans. I found out Wellness makes 12.5 oz cans. It's cheaper and I get a case discount at the feed store.

Watch phosphrus levels. Look for lower phosphorus foods. Janet & Binky's charts are great and most companies will provide that info if it isn't already on their website. I'm using Wellness Turkey & Salmon as it is the only canned she will eat properly. She's weird. Fish is higher in phosphrus but for now it has to do. I'm going to start adding a phoshorus binder in the way of egg shell powder (ESP). It has been test on humans in Japan and works well. Cheap, too as we have laying hens. Commercial binders contain aluminum.

There is also the calcium : phosphorus ratio and potassium levels to watch. Like diabetes, it's overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.
    Good place to start is the Holisticat website. Sandy and other members have put together some amazing information and there are also forums. The focus is on holistic health care/treatment for cats. Like here, there are many experienced members who are willing to help out. They focus a lot on appropriate diet.

CRF article. http://www.holisticat.com/crf.html

Home page http://www.holisticat.com

The articles (includes CRF & diabetes) can be read for free and are very informative. There is a free 7 day read-only forum trial. The subscription fee for forums is very reasonable. Sandy also has a book that is really good. For info on joining click "Books-n-Things.

btw... I have no financial involvement. I believe very strongly in the work they do.

Feel free to PM me if you would like. Sometimes it's nice to have someone who's in the trenches, too.

Take care,

Lylene & Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.