Good online source for U-40 syringes?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SamsonsMom, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi! About to finish up my first 50 days of treating Samson's diabetes and need to order some more U-40 syringes. Where do people like to buy them? Tx!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

They're used for vet insulins like ProZinc so you can usually buy them from you vet or order online from an animal pharmacy.

It's great that you're home testing and getting a midcycle number almost daily. Those preshot tests are important too. Looks to me like Samson could go up in dose. :)

3. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi @Kris & Teasel , thanks! Any online animal pharmacies to recommend?
    How much would you increase Samson's dose by?

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

These are the U-40 syringes I have been using with Prozinc but I am making the switch to U-100's! :)

5. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi @Yong , is there a reason you're switching to U-100s?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'd start a series of slow, methodical dose increases of 0.25 u at a time. If you don't see a decent drop into yellows after 3 to 4 cycles, increase by another 0.25 u. He's been sitting high-ish for a while so you'll likely need a few increases to see an overall lowering of BG. You're aiming over time for blues and dark greens on his SS.

Djamila and Blair & Freya like this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I've heard it is easier to do smaller adjustments / fine tuning doses :)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

With u-100s you can accurately increase/decrease by .2...you don't have to eyeball like you do with u-40s. But you MUST use the conversion chart if you do get u-100s.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

I get mine from VetUK currently, but now that I look at your signature, I'm guessing you're located in the US since you've got the BG numbers listed in mg/dL. So that probably doesn't help you. :( In my experience though, you can get more for cheaper online than from a vet, but that might not always be the case depending on the vet.

Seconding what @Kris & Teasel said about the 0.25u increases. It's what I've been doing with my cat, and while she's proven difficult to regulate, it really is the safest way. It does require patience at times, but just know that it minimises the chance of accidentally bypassing a good dose. Increase by more than that at a time, and you might miss the sweet spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.