Got the news today...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mandie & Greyson, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandie & Greyson

Mandie & Greyson New Member

My baby Greyson is 6 1/2 and we went to the vet today because of his increased water intake in the last few weeks. We left with diabetes and gum disease diagnoses, ProZinc insulin and a lot of worry. He measured 412 today, but it was about an hour after his breakfast and under extreme stress at the vet. I am overwhelmed with both the diagnosis and the sheer amount of information that I can't seem to process, even after spending most of the afternoon reading this and other sites. I have so many questions, which I'll list below, but please do direct me to the right place for these first questions...I've searched and I know I'm repeating and am likely not supposed to ask here but there's just so much and I'm spinning...

1) My vet's instructions were for 2 units 2 times/day of the ProZinc, as well as to switch Greyson's food to low carb. I have already made the food change today (thanks to the advice here, trying to avoid the "prescription" stuff), but I am concerned about the amount of insulin he's suggesting right out the gate. Is it prudent to take a step back, change his food and wait a couple of days before injecting him?? I don't want to cause more harm, but it just doesn't feel right to jump right in at that level. I feel this sense of urgency, but I wonder if it's okay to take it a little slower right now?

2) It's very clear I need to home test. I naively went to Target today thinking I could just pick one up...it doesn't seem to work that way, they wanted a prescription? How/where do I get a BG tester quickly, especially if I am holding off on the insulin per question 1?

3) Once I have one, is there a clear guide somewhere that I've missed (totally possible, it's been a long day) that tells me what the goal BG levels are? And guides me on how much insulin to actually start with if I'm not comfortable with my vet's black and white #?

4) What is the connection with the gum disease? I would have that addressed anyway per his advice, but he sort of vaguely suggested that there may be a correlation and I'm confused by that.

Thank you so much for any advice, or redirects to the right place. I know this is going to be okay, but wow is it a lot to get my head and heart around.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Mandie and Greyson. You have come to the right place for information and advice on treating Greyson's diabetes. I suggest you copy your message here, start a new thread in the Main Health forum and paste the message, so that more eyes can see your questions and concerns and respond. Here is a link to that forum: MAIN
    Where are you located that you would need a prescription for a blood glucose meter and strips?
    You have very valid and well thought out questions and concerns, I know it's overwhelming at first. There is a lot to learn and it seems daunting. But, breathe, and you will find answers and support here. :bighug::cat:

3. Mandie & Greyson

Mandie & Greyson New Member

Thanks so much - I'll post there. I'm in Minneapolis. I'm not sure if it was just Target, this location, or what, but I didn't ask many questions.

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome Greyson & Mandie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.