GRACIE BG 88 at + 3; 113 at +3.5; 131 @ +4...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele & Gracie, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Freaking out, not sure if I should try to head off a hypo...Sorry if I misused the 911...

Please help, I'm too new at this!

Thanks!

Michele

2. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

3. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Re: BG 88 at + 3 dose Help!!

hold on a second, going to check out your condo and ss

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

No cause for panic. Take a breath.

Feed a teaspoon or two of low carb and re-test in 30 min.

5. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

thank you...i am a freakishly nervous newbie

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

not hypo yet, but that's a pretty sharp drop. has she had dinner? can you feed her some low-carb food? not too much, don't want her too full in case you need to feed more later (is full moon after all). do you have high-carb canned food available if the drop doesn't level off?

7. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Looks like Sienna and WCF came to the rescue, so I'm not needed! Thanks guys!!

8. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Thank you-

gave some low carb..will recheck in a few. do not have high carb wet...have pounce...checking janet & binky's for a high carb...just in case...

remembering to breathe...

9. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Yes, she ate a full can of FF Turkey & Gibblets classic

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

For tomorrow, stock up on HC -- any of the Fancy Feast flavors that are in gravy that are more than 18% carb. We like gravy. It's where the carbs are and can be mixed in with LC to make MC or slurped up all on its own and isn't terribly filling. I'd prefer you not use the Pounce. It doesn't raise BG all that quickly and it takes forever to clear a cat's system.

You can add a few drops of Karo, honey, maple syrup, etc. to LC food to make either MC or HC food.

All of us keep a "hypo kit" stocked. Not that we anticipate a hypo, but having HC on hand is an essential since it's a very effective way to steer numbers.

11. WCF and Meowzi

when, in relation to PM shot time?

you have karo or honey or maple syrup at home? how are you doing on stock of test strips?

12. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Thanks-I have the maple syrup, she liked that better than the kyro. will recheck and give some mixed with more lc and run down to walmart to pick up some hc...they are right down the street.

she is acting agitated-tail flicking, head up and alert...just rechecked 118...has eaten 1/2 can of ff...

thank you for walking me off ledge will recheck in 1/2 hour

Had PM feed at 6pm...1.5 units lantus given just picked up a can of 50 strips last night...

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Couple of things...

Put Gracie's name in the subject line.

Next time, do not feed quite so much. Literally, feed 1 - 2 teaspoons of food (about 1/8 of a can of FF). You don't want Gracie to fill up early if you need to keep steering numbers. Little bits of LC so she will surf and you don't get huge food spikes. Also, dose reductions are earned if numbers slide under 50. You don't want to over feed, get a spike, and miss the reduction.

As a general rule:
    • Numbers above 50 you can feed LC.
    • Until you know how Gracie responds, you can feed MC or LC in the 40s. Some cats will get a bump from LC, some need MC. It also depend on where in the cycle this is and how fast/big the drop is.
    • Numbers under 40, feed HC.

14. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

thank you, thank you, thank you Sienne & WCF & Deb-

Took off 911, as crisis seems to be over and my over reacting.

Gawd, i feel so helpless and out of control with this whole situation. I think i'm getting it right and then it's all catterwhumpus.

I know it's not my fault, but it's awful hard to be a newbie! So much to learn and not enough time to learn it before the test! And I'm horrible with people skills (keeping up with corrospondence and not sounding like a dork either too formal or too informal or humor doesn't translate correctly...) BREATHE MICHELE BREATHE!!! (gasp!)

But thank you so, so much for helping us...(tears of gratitude...)

I'll let you know how we progress.

Michele

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: GRACIE BG 88 at + 3 dose Help!!

You're doing fine. We've all been there and know that feeling of panic! That's what the Board is for. There's a 99% chance that if you don't know what to do, there will be someone here to help.

I would suggest re-testing again in 30 - 60 min. The bump up was due to all of the FF. Sometimes numbers can bobble around especially since that was a good sized drop and it's early in the cycle. What you are seeing is how well food can work to manage numbers. You have a meter and you have food. You are in control.

I think you can take the "dose help" out of the subject line too.

16. WCF and Meowzi

exactly ;-)

no worries, we've all been there. i fed karo to my first ever sub-100 bg (66) and never saw another sub-100 bg for over a year :oops: i did kick myself quite a bit after that :roll:

after things have calmed down and you've had a chance to gather yourself (chocolate for the bean helps!), take a look at this link on stocking your hypo tool box and you'll feel more in control the next time. half the battle is knowing you have the tools to head off those lows if gracie's headed that way. highly recommend having some high-carb CANNED food on hand.

and, btw - you may have a moon kitty :mrgreen:

17. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Re: GRACIE BG 88 at + 3 dose Help!!

up to 131...

A moon kitty, huh? Well, i guess that would be appropriate as i was a moon teen. ;-)

Have to admit, as much as i read and prep, i wasn't prepared for the exam. Had everything for the hypo kit but have stalled on the food hoping to fend off the worst 'cause it won't happen if i'm not ready...right? yeaaaahhh...riiiight!!

Stocking up on the wet HC tomorrow...will recheck every 30-60 min until i pass out or she's hunky dorey. will remember to breathe.

thank you all again.

18. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

+4.5: 128. Heading into normal nadir window of +5-+8ish, so I should expect a dip over the next few hours, right?

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You don't need to check every 30 min. Once you get 2 tests in a row that are telling you that Gracie is surfing in a safe range or rising, you can test every hour. Two in a row that are good and you can back off on the frequency. All of this depends on where in the cycle you are (early vs. late) and how sharp the drop is.

I guess you're not familiar with Murphy's Law!! (lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.