Gracie the cat with 99 lives

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheri V, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheri V

Cheri V Member

Gracie 8-31-2016.jpg

My cat Gracie was diagnosed last Monday. She's a Cornish Rex, about 11 years old. She developed diabetes due to extended high doses of prednisolone, which she needs to keep her alive because she has nasal lymphoma (now in remission after radiation therapy). Because her nose was damaged by cancer, she has a constant and severe URI. A few months ago she developed an esophageal stricture from too many meds. She was on so many meds because she has IBD and pancreatitis. Which results in chronic constipation -- which is no joke when your cat hasn't pooped in a week. And stomatitis too, forgot that one. And did I mention she has heart disease? And stage 3 kidney disease -- but the fluids she needs for her kidney disease are bad for her heart. Keeping Gracie reasonably healthy is the world's greatest balancing act.

Today, she's doing well! She's eating and she has gained almost a pound. We started Lantus insulin a couple of days ago, and her blood sugar immediately got too low (87) so we already reduced her insulin dose. Most recently she was at 135 just before her insulin dose. I'm doing home testing -- not well, but I'm practicing on any cat I can catch so I will get better at it. She's eating Fancy Feast, mainly because it's the only thing she WILL eat at the moment (I offered the diabetic food and she had several rude comments to make about it). We've reduced her pred but that immediately resulted in worsening of her esophageal stricture, so there's a pretty good chance she will have to stay on the pred even though it has added the complication of diabetes to her life and mine. So far I'm managing OK but I'm sure I could do better.... which is why I've joined this forum, on top of the few thousand other cat groups I participate in. And now I have to stop typing because Gracie is screaming for me to feed her......

Cara and Wynken (GA) likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Wow, sweet little Gracie sure has been through a lot! You're a wonderful cat mom to have taken such great care of her through it all. Fancy Feast is a good food for diabetics as long as it's the Classic pate type. And Lantus is a great insulin. If you post on the Main Health forum, you will find others that have kitties with multiple conditions and they may be able to offer you some advice. Welcome!

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome to our crazy cat ladies group. The people here will do every thing they can to help.

5. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Cara and Wynken (GA) Member

Welcome @Cheri V :bighug:

I know you & your miracle Grace from FB. (I'm Cara Madee) She is a true wonder, and my heart soars each time she rallies. :cat:

My diabetic cat Wynken and I have been here a while. You will get the most help by starting a spreadsheet , keeping it current, and then posting in the specific insulin group. The Lantus and Levemir forum is the busiest, lots of traffic and lots of help. :)

I am so sorry about the diabetes diagnosis on top of everything else- but you are in the right place to learn how to manage it really well - just like you do all her other conditions. Glad you are here!

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.