Great technical article on treating FD, good read and may be good to print out for some vets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m only halfway through and so far I feel like this captures everything we do here beautifully. It seems perfect to print out for a vet that is a little clueless on how to treat, if they are willing to learn more. It encourages home testing, provides lots of interesting facts that are researched. It’s also on a reputable website. Good if you’re a layperson who can pick through the technical bits, too.

It’s also only published a year ago, which is positive—up to date!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6053045/

2. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Prevalence is discussed at the beginning, and I found it interesting:
    “The reported prevalence of feline diabetes mellitus (diabetes) varies from 1 in 100 (1%) to 1 in 400 (0.25%) depending on the population studied.15 An American study has reported the prevalence increasing over the past 30 years, from 1 in 1250 (0.08%) in 1970 to 1 in 81 (1.2%) in 1999, though the contribution of increased diagnosis versus increased prevalence is unclear.5Increased susceptibility has been reported in Burmese in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, and Maine Coon, Russian Blue, and Siamese were reported in the USA and Norwegian Forest cats in Europe.3,4,68 Burmese cats in Australia and the UK are four times more likely to develop diabetes, with 1 in 10 cats aged ≥8 years affected.24

In particular, the increase in prevalence in the US from 1970 to 1999 is interesting to me.

The study also mentions the problem with dry food, and it really, really makes the point that long-acting insulin and home testing with LC wet food is the answer. -Something we all know some vets do not seem to understand.

I hope this is helpful or interesting to someone! :)

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great article! Thanks for posting

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Great article but as the Mom of an IAA kitty I was disappointed that IAA was not mentioned or addressed. It's commonly associated with Acromegaly kitties but rarer on its own.

AliceMeowliss (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you for bringing up what it is missing! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.