Green numbers

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hey so we're still having a really good run with numbers.
    Today we had a 2.6 reading. Should I worry about low number or does it not matter so much when not in insulin.

Thanks guys

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No need to worry. Non diabetic kitties can run quite low. I tested Teasel's sister once and she was at 2.2!

3. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I was told no, that some cats naturally run in the 40's on their own.

Becki and sox likes this.
  4. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

That's ok then I though it would probably fine as his brothers and sisters run at about 2.5 to 2.7 on my meter.

Just wondered as he's a kitty that's possibly in remmision wether it was ok for him to be that low. :D

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  5. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Boozle has been between 96 and 44 since we took him off insulin six days ago. I can't tell any difference when he is on the higher or lower end, to be honest.

Kris & Teasel and Becki and sox like this.
  6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Go boozle paws crossed he keeps going well

7. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Same for you and your critter! Looks like y'all are well on your way!

8. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

So happy for all of you guys. Paws crossed that it keeps going!! What a great holiday gift!!

9. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Take a peek at Rhubarb's ss. She had some crazy low numbers

10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

So she has glad to see rhubarb getting all those green numbers she's doing really well.

majandra likes this.
  11. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I've read on some sights that they don't class a cat as been in remission till 4 weeks I know you guys say 2 weeks.

So should I just stick with how I'm testing now up untill the 4 weeks just to be on the safe side?

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You'll want to keep testing for the rest of his life because Sox will always be diabetic, but now he's a diet-controlled diabetic. You just don't need to test as much. However a dental problem, infection, illness, getting a hold of carbs, etc. can throw him out of remission. But you don't need to test multiple times/day. After day 14 (is that today?!?), you can test just a couple times/week for a months or two, and then once/week forever. Some folks say once every two weeks. I certainly wouldn't go longer than that. When Sam fell out of remission, it was fast. He was fine, and then he wasn't. When that happens, the sooner you can start them back on insulin the better.

13. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

It's 14 days tomorrow. Only thought I'd ask the question as some websites I've read have said the have to have normal levels for 4 weeks before there classes as In remmision. So wondered wether to go with the 2 weeks or 4 week rule?

I think when i reduce the readings I'll probably stick to at least a couple of times a week just for piece of mind. :D

Tina and Boozle and majandra like this.
  14. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

@majandra - OooOOoo look at that 38. Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet. It made me feel better about the 40 we saw this morning.

I guess I am so used to going into action mode below 50 that my brain still wants to go there. My first reaction was - Ah ****! 40! Then I remembered -- no insulin.

15. majandra

I had a bit of panic too ... but no insulin so no problem.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

WOW! thSE1SQKA0.jpg What beautiful numbers! Go Sox!

17. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Thank you @MrWorfMen's Mom.
    Think we've been quiet lucky with how quick it's got under control

18. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes a little luck but also lots of good TLC from you! :bighug::bighug:

19. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

So today is the big day... Day 14.

After today can I now got to testing just once a day or would twice a day at the moment be better?

Also as I won't need to be giving insulin shot for now can I combine to 2 feeds that I would normally give (test/feed and feed/shoot) into one meal now and also do I need to keep the morning feeds at the same time. So still setting an alarm for 7am at the weekend to feed or can it be abit later?

And if he does go out of remmision how would you know when to start shooting again (after a few days of higher numbers or as soon as you see something over that 120) do you just ring vets to get them to order your insulin and just start back up. (My vial was open in November so should be good till about may?)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Don & Tigger likes this.
  20. majandra

If I could give a reccomendatikn- save some of the money you usually spend on strips ... and buy an automatic feeder. I have the petsafe 5 meal and love it. I don't have to get up or be home to rotate the dish. I found Rhubarb's sugars are lower when she doesnt eat only twice a day and I just cant be there to feed 4x .
    I also don't stay on the exact same schedule. She gets to eat at supper now too rather than wait till 7pm

21. Djamila

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!! That is such great news! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Now for the questions: yes, you can test once/day - I recommend scattering around the test times - so one day you test before breakfast, another day you test before dinner, another day you test at some random time, etc.

After another month-ish you can test less than that.

If you get a high number, start testing more and see if it settles back down. If not, then you'll want to restart insulin quickly. I think I gave Sam like three days and then I restarted (on the third day). Cats usually do have a reason for falling out of remission, so if it happens, a vet visit is a good idea to look for a dental problem or infection of some sort. Or in Sam's case, realizing the food that I thought was healthy wasn't. So if you start to see high numbers, look for reasons, but don't let any reason keep you from starting the insulin. High numbers need help. You can still work to remedy the cause, but our kitties have fragile little pancreases, so when they get off track they need support.

You don't need to adhere to the 12/12 schedule anymore, but you do need to stick to a carefully low-carb diet.

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

animated-party-smiley-image-0027.gif animated-party-smiley-image-0056.gif animated-party-smiley-image-0027.gif animated-party-smiley-image-0027.gif animated-party-smiley-image-0056.gif animated-party-smiley-image-0027.gif

CONGRATULATIONS SOX & BECKI! HAPPY DAY 14! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

WooHoo! :D

24. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Luckily I already have some of these and use them for the mid day feeds when I'm at work or out which is very useful.

Great so at a weekend I could feed now at say 8am rather than the alarm for 7am to feed?

Ok and that's any numbers over 120 reading you say?

They only eat the butcher's brand of food at the moment and did think I'd like to try them on some others as a bit of variety but a bit scared to try him on something else as I know the food he's on is ok for him.

25. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, Becki, I felt from the start that you and Sox could totally nail this!!! And I must confess to being rather proud of you both....:smuggrin:
    :D:D:DHUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D:D:D

[​IMG]

26. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is so exciting! :D

27. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Thank you couldn't have done it with out the help of all you guys your all brilliant. :D

Rachel likes this.
  28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woohoo!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

29. Djamila

Yes, you can definitely sleep in! And enjoy every minute of it!

As for the 120, that's a great question. Honestly when Sam came out of remission he was clearly too high - if I remember right, his first number was in the pinks.

If it's just a little over 120 I would post and ask for folks to take a look and chime in with thoughts. Borderline numbers can make it harder to decide. But again, if you catch it early, you don't really want to wait until you see a pink!

I'm so happy for you and Sox! It's always so fun to see a kitty reach this point!

And of course please stick around and help out. This board keeps going because folks who have received help, pay it forward. :bighug:

30. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Great thank you. That seems like a good idea.

Yes definitely I will. I know Sox journey hasn't been a long one but if there's anything I can help others with I will try :D

31. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hey guys. Were still going well with the green numbers but noticed we've flattened out in the 4 region where as he did have some 3 numbers before.
    Is it quiet normal for some cats to settle in the 4 numbers?

32. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sox is doing great. The range of normal BG is quite wide and most of us don't have benefit of knowing at what point in that range our cat's BG usually ran before their diabetes dx. So we really don't know whether they normally ran below 2.8 (some do) or at 6.0 before diabetes came into the picture. BG does fluctuate continually for a multitude of reasons.

Now as you test daily or later weekly etc. you simply want to be vigilant for any striking changes. Looks to me like Sox is usually running between about 3.3 to 5.0 on average and that is likely where his body is most comfortable. If you suddenly see a much higher number than expected even if its still within normal range, just do another test 2 or 3 hours after a meal to see if BG drops back down proving Sox pancreas is still working. It may be that he just saw a squirrel out the window and got riled up or it could be there is an infection brewing and you'll be able to get it looked after quickly to avoid a relapse of his diabetes.
    So happy to see Sox continuing to do well. Have you found some new hobby to keep your hands busy? It's a bit like withdrawal when we don't have to worry about our fur kids quite so much! :woot:

33. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah that's true I never knew was Sox was pre diabetes. Unlike his brothers and sisters who all run around 2.7

I did wonder if they had what you call a comfortable range as he does seem to stick around these numbers.

Thank you...were so happy he's staying low.
    The vets did want to see him again after Christmas but don't really want to take him and risk increasing his sugars due to stress taking him.
    I haven't no. I'm still testing him 2 times a day once in the morning so I know he's ok and then just a random one in the day.
    Can't seem to bring myself to do just one test a day yet lol:D

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  34. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beware Becki.....19 weeks into remission and I still have some trepidation when I test my girl every week. Not sure I'll ever graduate to biweekly much less monthly testing! :woot:

35. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I hear you. Think I'll still be a frequent tester lol

And congratulations on the 19 weeks :smuggrin:

36. Djamila

LOL! I think we all do this! Our poor unsuspecting civvies!

I also know my own BG pretty well now :)

(and as Linda said, Sox is still getting good numbers, no need to worry)