? Griff kitty dosing and food question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by primalkitty, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I took Griff to the vet last week for an insulin refill and a recheck. The vet loved the chart that I printed out for him!! I told him I was feeding low carb canned only and some raw meats. He said I need to be feeding Griff the DM kibble because it helps regulate the ups and downs. I didn't buy any. It is so expensive and wanted to get input from you all.

They did a BS test and he was 430 (stressed!). I didn't bring my meter with me :banghead: but the vet sent home a vial of blood for me to test at home. I got 360.

I bought a new meter because mine was so old and the numbers were so different from the vet and my meter. New meter doesn't seem too much different than old one.

I have done a couple of mid-day tests. Griff's numbers just won't go down. Is it time to increase again?

Thanks!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hey Jessie, there isn't really any proof that he needs the DM. There are so many sugar kitties on this forum who are just on canned or a homemade diet ;). I noticed you didn't try 2.75U, was there any specific reason? It's also a little more difficult deciding to increase since we don't know where most of the doses took him mid cycle :bookworm:. Let's see if the others can see something I can't with your data though :)

3. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I don't know why I didn't try the 2.75:confused: I get so overwhelmed with this.........not seeing him doing better. Maybe I just thought a little more would help bring him down. Thinking about it, that wasn't a very educated idea.

4. Yong & Maury GA

It's ok :bighug:. It's possible he needs another increase. We hate seeing our babies not feel good. Any chance you could try to get some before bed tests (for many of us that is between +2 and +4) and extras on the weekends? Assuming you work M-F full time job type thing :)

5. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Thank you :cat:

I don't work a regular hours, I am a farmer :woot: So, I can do other times and weekends. I dose him about 8:30 pm and go to bed at 10:00. I can do one before bed but that is just +1.5....or I could try to stay up a little later:D

6. Yong & Maury GA

oOoO neat! And lots of hard work! Whenever is fine, any extra tests during his mid cycle can be helpful :). From the couple curves you've done, it looks like he hit typical nadir time (lowest BG, peak insulin action) for Prozinc, between +5 and +7. With Prozinc dosing, we take into consideration Pre shots AND nadirs :cat:.

Also, was just reminded of this, you don't rub the injection site after dosing do you?

primalkitty likes this.
  7. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

No, I don't rub the site. I just tent his skin and shoot.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Farming is SUCH hard work! Hats off to you! I agree about the need for mid cycle tests. A curve at 3 u would give good info. I really can't say at this point whether he has to go up in dose or not.

primalkitty likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Farming, huh? I bet you're exhausted every night!

Well whenever you can pop in to the house and grab a test will be super helpful. A curve will definitely help you to see what's going on with him.

primalkitty likes this.
  10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hey! You live in Washington! I'm over in Seattle, but you're the first Washingtonian I've found on here! And I love your signature on here. I think it's the best one I've read. Is Griffith indoor only? Or indoor/outdoor?

I agree with Kris to hold off on any changes for a couple of days and get some mid-cycle tests, and then we'll have a better sense of what needs to happen next.

We all get overwhelmed with this sometimes. Please keep checking in here - vent, ask for help, share stories - whatever you need. We'd love to help you get this figured out.

primalkitty and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

I agree about your signature! Quite the menagerie and the "1 husband" tacked on to the end like an afterthought ... :D;)

primalkitty and Djamila like this.
  12. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Yah, it is hard work...a labor of love!!!

I have a few new numbers. I probably won't be able to do a curve for a few days.

Thank you!

13. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

A Washingtonian, cool! Thanks, I am sure my husband would question why he is at the bottom of the list:p I have a few new numbers but will have to wait to do the curve for a few days.

And, THANK YOU! :bighug:

14. Djamila

If you can even get one more mid-cycle today, sometime between +4 and +7, I think we can make a suggestion for a next step. What day do you think you could do a curve?

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  15. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Shoot, didn't get home from my Dr appt in time to do a 4 or 7! I can try for a +6 or +7 tomorrow. We offer tours here on the farm Fri-Sun, so doing mid cycles are a little harder. I hope to do a curve on Monday.

Thank you!

16. Yong & Maury GA

Can you take a quick "potty break" and have to use the facilities near Griff ;)

17. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

From 12 - 3 I am with people and cannot. So, hoping to do a test right before and right after. That would be a 3+ and a 6+. Would that be helpful?

18. Yong & Maury GA

Yes :) I was just trying to give you an excuse to use :smuggrin: lol

19. Djamila

yes, +6 is a typical nadir, and +3 can often give you a hint of what is to come. So either/both are helpful!

primalkitty likes this.
  20. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

:D snork snork!!

21. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Okay, got the extra readings today.

402 at 8:45
    344 at 11:45
    269 at 1:45 (shoot, just realized that this is 5 not 6.....my math skills are lacking!!!)

Whatcha think about dosing?

22. Yong & Maury GA

Thinking it may be time to try 3.25U. Have you tested for ketones yet? Just to be safe :)

23. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I have not tested for ketones. Not sure how I can wing that one with 6 of the 7 cats all using the same litter box in spite of there being 9 litter boxes in the house.

24. Djamila

Most kitties have a fairly regular pattern to their day as far as eating/grooming/sleeping/peeing/pooping. You may need to start carefully studying Griffith's schedule and then camp out near the litter box to grab the test. Not all day, obviously, but if you can start to figure out his rhythm, it can help you focus the ketone-test effort. Mostly though, I'd just say to increase the dose as Yong suggested, and make sure he's eating. If he stops eating the ketone test becomes much more critical.

Yong & Maury GA and primalkitty like this.
  25. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Thank you, I will do that. I increased the dosage tonite. His appetite is excellent.

26. Kris & Teasel

I only have three kitties but have learned Teasel's litter box habits. Helps a lot in getting the urine ketone tests done.

primalkitty likes this.
  27. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I will be vigilant on box habits :)

Upped dosage last night to 3.25. Tested 551 this morning!!! :confused:

28. Yong & Maury GA

Might've been a bounce from wherever he went last night. Any chance of getting a +3 today? or +2 or +4. Pick one if you can :smuggrin:

29. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I can do a +3 this morning. Thank you!

30. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

3+ 360

31. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

521 tonite =(

32. Kris & Teasel

He might have gone lower overnight but who's to say? He's had 3 cycles at this dose so you can try 3.5 u this AM. It's possible that he's stuck in high numbers because of glucose toxicity that builds over time if the dose is too low. Their body becomes less responsive to insulin. It's reversible with careful dose increases and you'll eventually get to a "breakthrough" dose. It requires more monitoring, though, and he can't be left at an ineffective dose too long. That only makes it worse. If you cam manage one extra test daytime and before bed that would help.

primalkitty likes this.
  33. Djamila

Does he ever go outside? Is there any chance he could be getting into the barn cats' food? the dogs'? a mouse? Also, does he ever eat within two hours of the pre-shot times? That can inflate the numbers.

Mostly though, it's probably what Kris said and will just need some steady increases and additional tests for a little while.

I wonder if there is another shot schedule that might allow you to get a few tests in a little easier for your work schedule? I test/feed/shoot Sam at 4:30am/pm so that I can get a +3 before I leave for work at 7:30. Then it gives me 4-5 hours in the evening before bedtime. Getting up so early before work took some adjustment for my schedule, but it lets me manage his shots and tests a lot better and with less disruption to the rest of my day.

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Any extra tests you get will definitely help! I was a big "before bed" tester in my day...and whenever I got up in the middle of the night for personal reasons, I would run downstairs and do a quick test. There were times Gypsy didn't even move!! :)

primalkitty likes this.
  35. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Ok, I will increase dosage and mid-day testing. Thank you.

Trying not to be scared :nailbiting:

36. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

No, strictly indoors. I don't leave the dog kibble down and there is no other food that he can get to. I will get some more testing done. Since I am on the farm and don't work a 9-5'er I am more flexible with timing. Currently doing shots at 8:30am and 8:30 pm.

Thank you!

37. Kris & Teasel

You'll be fine. We're here to help you. Those extra tests are key. :)

primalkitty likes this.
  38. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Also, the vet recommended a diabetes management kibble to help stabilize his BS. After all the problems with what I thought was a healthy kibble, I am reluctant to ever feed kibble again. I am transitioning the dogs off of kibble, too. But, if it can help stabilize for now, I would consider. Thoughts?

39. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Oh, and thank you all for the help. I don't know what I (and 100's of others on this forum) would do without you all!!!!:bighug:

40. Kris & Teasel

That thinking might relate to the effect of fiber on BG regulation. I think it helps dogs but my impression is that the research has moved beyond that for cats. Low carb wet food is where it's at. That's what my vet prescribed.

primalkitty likes this.
  41. Djamila

Depending on which prescription brand of kibble, they are like 18% carbs. Way too much! I think the best tool for getting some movement toward regulation is going to be doing what you're doing now: getting more mid-cycle tests and adjusting the dose accordingly. It's a slow process, but it works.

We have all been in that place! In no time at all you'll be able to help out other people! :)

primalkitty likes this.
  42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

A lot of vets prescribe kibble, but it doesn't really help regulation. Regulation is achieved with the low carb food, and steady insulin increases until you reach the ideal dose. Imagine what would happen if you gave kibble that was higher in carbs, then reached an ideal dose...and then transitioned to wet food. The ideal dose would suddenly be too high! I think you'll get there faster if you stick with the low carb wet food. :)

Kris & Teasel and primalkitty like this.
  43. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Thank you thank you thank you:D

44. Yong & Maury GA

I'm wondering if it is fiber related as well :bookworm: and you can add fiber naturally with plain pumpkin - No sugar, spices, or additives. Some kitties do not like pumpkin :cat:

primalkitty likes this.
  45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, mine didn't like pumpkin...but were fine with it added to their food. Just wouldn't eat it plain.

46. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

+0 402
    +3 315
    +6 231

Lookin' better

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nice yellow!

primalkitty likes this.
  48. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Yes, so excited! Haven't seen that low of a number in a long time!

49. Djamila

Yeah! That's a nice number!

primalkitty likes this.
  50. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Actually, that is the lowest number since diagnosis!!! Happy Dance :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  51. Yong & Maury GA

52. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I LOVE the dancing kitty, thank you!!!!

53. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Couldn't get a +9 tonite.

+12 351

54. Kris & Teasel

Those extra tests the last couple of days are helpful. The more you can get in the better. Using those two recent yellows as a guide, I'd say his dose has to come up. I see that you gave 3.5 u yesterday AM but dropped it back to 3.25 u in the PM. I suggest you give 3.5 u both AM and PM for today and tomorrow. I know the higher doses worry you but his numbers tell me that there's a lot of room still for increases. He might be closer to 4 u range before you see more yellows and maybe a blue or two.

primalkitty and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  55. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Hey Kris, I did an "ooops" and just dragged the dosage down from the previous night on the chart. I did do 3.5 and corrected my chart. ;)

I did a before bedtime test 10:30 pm which was 2 hours after insulin and it was 318. This morning, another yellow!!! 294 I could tell Griff was feeling better, too.

I will get a couple more tests today.

Thank you so much!!!!

Rachel likes this.
  56. Yong & Maury GA

Wondering if we should've let you stay at 3.25U a little longer than 3 cycles :bookworm:. I think he bounced all 3 of those :smuggrin:. Taking that into consideration, might hold 3.5U a little longer than 3 cycles. If he holds the pattern of the next PS being lower than previous, may visit 3.25U again.

Glad he is feeling better :cat:. Keep up the good data collecting, Jessie!

primalkitty likes this.
  57. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

+3 317

Griff says :bighug:

58. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Hah, just got a ketone test. Griff had just gone potty and after he is done, he doesn't kick around just jumps out. So, I thought he might still have a few drops on his hoo-hah that I could test. He was SOOOO not happy about the invasion, but he does not have any ketones :joyful:

59. Kris & Teasel

Whatever it takes! :eek:;)

60. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Everyone figures out what works best for them!!!

primalkitty likes this.
  61. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

A couple more yellows!!!

62. Kris & Teasel

Congrats on the extra tests! Very useful info. :smuggrin:

primalkitty likes this.
  63. Djamila

Nice! Making some progress!

primalkitty likes this.
  64. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

So, I got some devastating news yesterday. My best friend of 30 years took her own life. I am trying to wrap my mind around all this, I am beyond heartbroken......

As a result, my schedule with Griff got all screwed up...late test, late insulin etc.., I accidentally left dog kibble out (thank the hubby for noticing) and he had a couple of higher numbers. Fortunately, his numbers were not in the black!!! I am trying to get back on schedule.

65. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Jessie! I am so so sorry to hear that. :bighug:

Don't worry about Griff. One day of a weird schedule and some dog kibble isn't the end of the world. We've all had things happen that cause things to get messed up for a day or two..and we learn to work around it.

primalkitty likes this.
  66. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you've had this shock. Griff will be OK. Let us know how you and he are doing when you can. :bighug::bighug:

67. Yong & Maury GA

Very sorry to hear, Jessie :(. I'm sure the news has you in a state of shock [​IMG] and Griff will be there to help, along with the rest of your crew and DH :)
    Hugs and head bumps from us :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    upload_2017-6-29_8-20-15.png

primalkitty likes this.
  68. Djamila

Oh Jessie! I'm so sorry! Please let us know if you have any questions about adjusting the schedule. As others have said, Griff will be fine. Sending you all love and prayers for comfort.

primalkitty likes this.
  69. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Thank you all! Yes, still in shock, but able to focus more. Griffy is doing good now!

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.