Guess I'm one of you now.

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by JanetNJ, May 10, 2019.

1. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How’s it going Janet?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Eh, it’s going. Cc had had kinda high numbers lately but had a good run today. Let's hope it's the start of Good things. We've been distracted with my researching the stuff going on with my son's eyes and his birthday (kid party tomorrow, family party next week). Next week is the last week of school. Can't wait.

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Tell him Happy Birthday!!!!! Hope the party goes well and he has a blast! And tell CC to behave herself!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Janet, I bet you can't wait for school to be done. A very Happy Birthday to your son, I hope you all have a great time. Be sure to take good care of yourself too, please.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

You have no idea. With all the stress on top of the usual "kids are nuts this time of year " business, I'm ready to be done.

Well we are out of complete panic mode and into acceptance with what's going on with my son. I can at least for the most part talk about it now without busting out crying. We have an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist on Tues who should give us the official diagnosis.... Then we will have to put on our big girl pants and figure out the next steps. There's very little we can do about the progression beyond having him always wear sunglasses and a cap outside and diet changes (limited vit A and lots of antioxidant foods).

JeffJ and Sharon14 like this.
  6. JanetNJ

Cc behaved herself last night! Check out those nice numbers! Will probably bounce this morning. I did a bit of steering when she was 72

7. Sharon14

Nice CC! Now let’s keep the bounce to a minimum, or better yet, skip the bounce and stay in the blues and greens:cool::D
    Hope the party went well, and I hope this last week of school flies by.

8. JanetNJ

Party went great! We gave all the kids light sabers for his star wars theme. I'm sure their parents were thrilled about that. Lol

And she listened to you. 196 this morning.

Attached Files:

9. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

That picture made me laugh right out loud! Looks like so much fun! Welcome to the beach CC! :cool:

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is a great picture Janet, and a great party. Those kids were having a blast. I vote for you as

--- The Best Mom of the Year -----

Healing vines for your son. I hope they can somehow prolong his eyesight.

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. Sharon14

I Second that!

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Haha sweet of you to say. Fri was my last day of school. Phil has a half day today so I'm enjoying a morning of quiet. Yesterday was the family birthday party so I have that to clean up from, but it was fun. He decided instead of star wars he wanted a "shades " party so everyone (including the cake) wore sunglasses. :) 0998EB95-F405-4C87-BF3A-9D3CB73D0CC6.jpeg

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is another great pic. I really like the theme and the decorations. Your son is so lucky to have you. (and C.C. is lucky too).

Theresa and I both are sending more healing vines for your son. She has been concerned ever since I told her about your son's degrading eyesight.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Sharon14

Love the pic! Cake, watermelon and shades, what more could you ask for?!:cool:

15. JanetNJ

Ty. There's really nothing we can do about it. In a month he went from 20/70 to 20/80-20/100 vision. :/ it sucks. No other way to say it. Hoping to see the pediatric ophthalmologist geneticist soon.

JeffJ likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

It was great. He helped design the cake. We catered from chili's. Lol also had an ice cream cake and cheesecake and cookies. Yum

17. JanetNJ

Look who has been under 200 all day!!! 102DF10A-E3FD-4FA1-912F-EC0170918F0A.jpeg

18. Sharon14

Go CC!

JanetNJ likes this.
  19. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good call on the amended dose. That is a great pic of a kitteh cutey.

JanetNJ likes this.
  20. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Love the pic of Phil in his shaaaayydes! What a handsome dude. CC is just precious, sweet face.

JanetNJ likes this.
  21. JanetNJ

She is cute. I think getting her on lower phosphorus food has made a big difference. There's a lot more light in her eyes. She's sitting up more and looks happier.

Sharon14 and JeffJ like this.
  22. JanetNJ

So we had bloodwork taken again in prep for a possible dental. The good news is the kidney values did not worsen in the last two months other then the bun being a little higher. I added all the new values to the lab tab in my spreadsheet. I'm going to have her blood pressure checked next week when she is going in. I am going away for a few days so she'll be boarded at the vet from the 5th-8th. (I hate leaving her. ughhhhh if it were up to me we'd just stay home, but can't deny the family a few days away. I wanted to take her with us but one of the kids going is VERY allergic. :( ) Do you guys see anything weird in her lab numbers that I should ask about? @Marje and Gracie

23. Sharon14

Janet, have fun on your vacation! 4 days isn’t very long and I’m sure CC will be fine. It’s great news that her kidneys values haven’t worsened. Will she have the dental while boarded?

24. JanetNJ

The vet mentioned two months ago she could use a cleaning, but didn't think any teeth would need to come out. This was before we got her bloodwork back that she had early ckd... so she's going to defer to the expertise of my regular vet who would perform the dental if she felt it was safe for her to do or not. If it is safe, or she feels it's necessary, then yes, she will have the dental done on the 5th which would be great because then the vet could keep an eye on her the following days to make sure she's recovering ok.

Her creatine came down just a smidge (down to 1.6 from 1.7) as did the phosperous numbers ( down to 5.4 from 5.6) so at least that is in the right direction. It was only 7 weeks since the last blood test, so i didn't expect anything too dramatic, but still any move in the right direction is good. the bun was slightly up. I guess i have to encourage her to drink more. I do add about 3 oz of water to each meal.

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hey Janet

I can look at the labs in the morning. I hope that’s ok!

JanetNJ likes this.
  26. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The urine specific gravity went from 1.025>1.019 which is a significant decrease and indicated more kidney degradation.

27. Marje and Gracie

Everything looks fairly stable except, as Larry noted, the USG. There’s nothing you can do about it but it just indicates less kidney function in concentrating her urine. If she’s drinking a lot of water, the USG will drop.

Phosphorus would be good to come down a lot more, if possible. She’s not to the point of needing binders yet but it would be better if she was closer to 4.5 at most. Her hematocrit is coming down which is typical with CKD cats. If you aren’t giving B vitamins to help with that, you might want to read up about it here and start supplementation with B vitamins.

As an aside, it would be good to get rid of all those extra tabs on her SS that just say “sheet” and have a number on them. Click on the drop down arrow next to it and click “delete”. Those unnecessary tabs really clutter up a SS when one is looking for the important things :)

28. JanetNJ

She IS drinking a lot more water. Since finding she's ckd I've been putting 4-5 ounces of water in every meal and she also drinks from the bowl on her own. So that could be why it's lower?

She's only been on the lower phosphorus food 7 weeks between the two tests, so hopefully it will continue to come down. If it starts going up we will do aluminum hydroxide.

On the b vitamins.... I was concerned about the hct coming down, too. She takes a half a zobaline in the morning and evening so 3mg a day of b12 methylcobalamin. Do you think that's OK?

29. Marje and Gracie

Yes. Just like in humans....the more you drink, the less concentrated your urine becomes. The difference is, if you checked your USG first thing in the morning, your urine would be concentrated. Hers wouldn’t be. But the more fluid intake, the less concentrated the urine becomes. That’s also why you don’t put much stock in a USG that is taken within 24 hours of the cat having IV or subq fluids.

Binders are usually started when the P gets to 6 or if P x Ca is 70.

On the B vitamins, that is enough B12 methylcobalamin but she also has to have multi B. They work in conjunction to fight anemia so just giving methylcobalamin alone won’t do it.

30. JanetNJ

she had eaten (and drank 4 ounces) about an hour before the test so maybe that diluted the urine a bit.

I used to give Zimmy a b complex - nutrived - but that might have too much sugar in it for a diabetic cat. I'll have to research which is ok to give her.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  31. Sharon14

I had to give B complex to a cat once. I used an injectable.

32. JanetNJ

Getting some nice blue and yellow preshots lately!

33. Sharon14

Looking good CC!