guest posting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maggie&curly, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

Hi,
    I have not been on these boards for a while, and I had a situation the other night and had to reregister and had to do it with my phone as my computer is down. I found that even though I could register I did not have permission to post new topics or replies to other people's topics, so I had no way of posting my question. Is this just because I was on a phone rather than the regular computer, or is there a lag time between registering and being able to post? I ask this because I would think some people who come to this board may have an urgent question that they need to ask right away and don't have time to wait to be approved, if that is how it works.

Anyway, I had made a mistake with my cats insulin- he is on Humulin 1.5 units twice daily, u-100 insulin, and I had run out of his regular syringes and so had to use one of his old syringes. I thought it seemed like more insulin than usual but thought it was because the barrel of the syringe was a different size. It wasn't until after I had given him the shot that I looked closer and realized that the syringes I still had were U-40 syringes from when he was on vetsulin!! I had overdosed him by over 4 times his usual dose. I ended up calling the emergency vet and they told me to either bring him in or watch him for signs of hyperglycemia and bring him in if he started to show any of them. Luckily he did okay, although I had to stay up most of the night with him. Anyway, it would have been nice to be able to post that at the time to see if anyone else here had experienced that and what they thought.

So just a thought- if there is restrictions at first on posting maybe people could at least post questions? Again, I could be totally off base because when using my phone its not the same as being on a regular computer so it could be the reason I was not able to post.

Anyway, thanks for listening and its good to be back- I still have no working computer but will try to keep posting and updating on Curly and how he is doing. I don't know since I had to reregister if his stats are still on here, but he is 11 years old, has had diabetes for 3 years, and is on Humulin insulin, was on 3 units twice daily but the vet lowered him to 1.5 units twice daily as she thought he might be having rebound sugar increases from being on too high of a dose. He seems to be doing much better on the 1.5 units twice a day but I have not had a chance to do a curve to see how he is responding as I have one meter that works but no strips for it, and one meter with strips that doesn't work, and I am financially unable to purchase the strips at this time.

Maggie and Curly (and civvie Ophelia).

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yes, since the old board died and we had to move to this one you do have to register, wait for an email, then click a link in that email, then you can start posting. at least that is my understanding.

also, information didn't carry over from the old board to this one but it's still there on the old board so you do need to do a profile here or link to the old one on the other board.

then, the shot you are talking about the other night. so did you draw to the 1.5 mark on the u40 syringe the other night? if so, and i'm thinking right, you actually gave less insulin than you think but i'd like others to confirm that for us first.

then, on to your testing situation. can you tell me which meter it is that you have strips for but doesn't work? i'm the one doing the newbie kits these days and might have a meter i could send you for those strips. :)

3. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

That would be really cool! :) I have the Ascencia Contour. I also have a one-touch mini but I am not sure if it works, and I have no strips at all for that one. I think I have 5 strips for the Contour but that's it.

I was a little confused about the dosing that I gave Curly the other night, but apparently the U-40 is 40 units per mL whereas the U-100 is 100 units per mL, so the U-100 is about 2-1/2 times stronger. Since I used a U-40 syringe I guess he actually got somewhere close to 5 units (?). My math sucks, but I guess that is not quite as much as I had been afraid I had given him- I thought I had given him close to 8 units. Anyway, he did fine and actually seemed to be a little better than the norm the next day, which made me think that it is definitely time for a curve to find out if he is getting the proper amount of insulin.

The Contour strips are the 'sipping' kind, correct? I have tried to use both depending on what strips I had available at the time and I honestly can't remember which ones were easier. I do know that one of them was really hard to get to work properly even when I what seemed to be more than enough blood- it would still read error. It got just too frustrating as it is hard enough to get his ear to bleed as it is, and then I would finally get blood and it would keep giving me error readings. I don't know if that is because there is a problem with the unit, the strips, or his blood sugar levels. Maybe someone else out there might be able to shed some light on this-- ?

Thanks!
    Maggie and Curly (and civvie Ophelia)

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

a-ha! I've got lots and lots of Contour meters. I definitely could send you a replacement one. I'll send you a pm (private message) to get your address. up to the upper left of the page you'll see the words "1 new message". click that and it will take you to your inbox where you'll find my message to you. open it and reply there. don't post your address in this thread as anyone who registers can come across it.

5. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

Awesome- thank you SO much!

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Maggie,

There isn't an established Board policy, but it is unwise to use your full email address as your user name. Could you please change your user name?. Please go to the link for the user control panel at the top left of the page, to the profile tab, to the edit account setting page. There you can change your user name.

Thanks.

Venita
    One of the Board moderators

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

PS

As Cindy mentioned, you need to click a verifying email to finalize registration.

This is needed because the bb Boards are vulnerable to spambots. The extra step minimizes their presence on this Board and reduces moderation requirements. For the time being, Rebecca, the Board owner, has decided that the automatic registration verification is best. Some of the BB Boards require a moderator or administrator to approve registrations, which would definitely cause concerns in emergency situations.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Humulin is Eli Lilly's trademark name for a family of rDNA origin insulins. The insulins include R, N and combinations of R and N. I suspect you are using N insulin, sometimes referred to as NPH. Are you using N?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.