H 3/17 - H is sick

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gator & H (GA), Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey guys [gals], I made it back safely and had a wonderful trip. It was so beautiful up there at Mammoth. Flying up there rocks! And thanks for moms I got a few days sanity break.

Sorry I've been slow to get back on but H has not been doing hot. At first his diet slumped and for quite a while now I've been getting one good poop then followed by a less formed poop. SO I had been reducing the lactulose. We gave him a bath Saturday with Dr. Bronner's unscented baby-mild castile soap and then Sunday H went into full on vomiting and explosive diarrhea and eating very little. H's doesn't *appear* in pain. I did try hard to make absolutely sure I got all the soap out... So I nixed the lactulose & added about 4mg Pepcid BID. The Pepcid *maybe* helped his vomiting which was up to 4 times per day. But then last night I got another vomit [with tons of liquid], so decided to take him to the vet today [and if you know me and how much I dread vets, this means H is really sick]. Knowing I was headed to the vet I gave him 0.6ml Cerenia [1mg/Kg] which of course he hasn't vomited since then.

At the vet today-
    Metronidazole 62.5mg BID for 7 days
    B12 injection 0.3ml once per week then tapering off
    Fortiflora
    buprenorphine [explanation below]

Fortiflora I've never been big on since it has supplements in it and I already have H's diet very balanced and don't want to mess with the mix. But he seems to like the taste which gets him to eat a little wet food. The buprenorphine was interesting. Since I noticed that the last time I gave it to H it constipated him greatly I asked if I might give to H for his diarrhea and the vet LOVED this idea and said he might even try it on some other cats. Other than the last diarrhea minutes after I gave the bup shot we have not had any more today. So we will see if my bup idea helps.

And while all of this has been going on I've been giving him more dry food [Core] to a) give him the caloric boost and b) get him to eat ANYTHING. I've paid for this already last night with raising BGs then a relatively low dose that sent him to a 81PS this morning that I did not shoot on [tonight I'm sure is going to be crazy]. I'm looking into the Artimis Maximal [grain free] which I got number from the company *claiming* 8.5% carbs by Kcal as I calculated which *might* be lower than than Core. But I think the Core might be higher calories which is good at this point.

All of this is kind of what I imagine riding a bucking bronco must be like.

So I apologize for not spending much time here since I've been back but I've had my hands a little full. My anxiety is in pretty full bloom at the moment - just tying to keep one foot in front of the other and hope H will maybe pull through this one.

>>>> Anyone's input is welcome. I was trying to find info on any controversy on here about one of the "metro" drugs? Am I just imagining that? Does anyone know about B12 concern with the treatment of lymphoma? <<<<

POOP ALERT: For those who don't poop talk you can stop reading now.
    H is such a wonderful kitty and even with the explosive diarrhea he has gone in the box every time [just happened to miss and blow poop everywhere a couple times but he sure was trying to hit his mark]. So I got him a bigger litterbox :smile:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... XYwVFJ4M0E

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awwww (((((hugs))))) hope H is feeling better soon :D

3. Gator & H (GA)

No diarrhea for about 10 hours now!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my bup trick works out!! That would be cool. We'll see in the morning [or smell it by then :shock: ]. Enema would be a "happy ending" in this case.

>>>> Also just wanted to take the opportunity to AGAIN reinforce the LRS liquids to all kitty owners [who don't have kitties with significant heart problems].<<<<< If we had not had it, we would not have had the opportunity to make it though this or many other episodes. LRS, needles and IV Set should be part of any kitty owners tool kit. If you don't have please get from your vet with the instructions on how to use it [1000ml bag LRS, 21g Terumo needles -or 20g regular - and a simple "macrodrip" 20 drop/ml or less drop/ml IV set].

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Aww H. Sending you healing thoughts.. poor baby. Hugs to him from me cat_pet_icon

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Poor H--hope he's feeling better soon. Not a great ending to your vacation.....

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Justin, I am so sorry to hear about H's feeling crappy. I know what a worry it can be for you. I am really glad the bup seems to be working. I hope H is better soon and eating well again. You take such good care of him. Sending chin scratches and hugs to H.

7. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Gator-
    So sorry to hear H isn't feeling well. We'll be thinking of you both and keeping our paws crossed that he gets better soon.

8. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

hope he's feeling better soon!

9. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Sorry H isn't doing well. Hope he starts feeling better soon.

10. Gator & H (GA)

Whelp, no poops [or explosions] now for a day+!! I'm not going to give the Cerenia tonight and hope the vomiting is through with for now. I've even started back with the lactulose - the last time we did bup he went too long for my comfort with no poops - so trying to get a head start on that. He is eating more too - just hoping things continue to improve. At the very least I know his weight will have taken a hit from all of this.

Also wanted to report that H's oncologist says nothing wrong with giving B12 and H's lymphoma. The Lymphoma Group also says the same thing [even for methyl B12 too] - not contraindicated for lymphoma. Not sure where my local vet heard that but we are green for B12 inj now to the mix.

Are there any known special tips about acquiring B12 injectable or is it just a standard prescription thing?

Thanks for all of your guys' support. This is about a sick as I've seen him and I've been very concerned for him.

11. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I am keeping H in my thoughts & prayers. Sending him healing energy & love cat_pet_icon

12. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

the reason your vet is saying "no" to B12 is because the dogma is that B vits can cause cellular proliferation. In cancer, obviously, you don't want that. However, each case is different, and if I were presented with a cat with neuropathy AND lymphoma, I'd use the B12 and take the (perceived) risk. JMHO.

13. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry H has been so sick. :( Glad to hear he seems to be doing better, at least in the poop arena. ;) I am glad you got to get away and not worry about him, even though you are worrying now. Hope things keep looking up this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.