? Hairball remedies?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So one of my kitties has been having a lot of hairballs lately. Not large ones...just little bits of matted fur coming up. Sigh. Clearly we need to get this under control. I plan on spending some time brushing him more often, but wanted to know if there's anything else I can give. I heard coconut oil might help, but now am hearing that it might not be a good idea.

Anyone have any good hairball remedies that have worked for them?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A small dab of petroleum jelly may help. It can be wiped on the paw and will be licked off.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This is shedding season as the days get longer. Thus, more fur loss/hairballs are expected. I just brush except for Dulce. He loves petrolatum (Vaseline) and he lick it out of the container I use to apply a thin film to ears before poking if I am not careful where I leave my testing supplies.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've spent some time brushing today and last night. I'll probably see how Oreo feels about a bit of vaseline later. I appreciate the advice!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Other options are a bit of unsalted butter (if he can tolerate dairy) or one of the other oils in his food (fish oil, olive oil).

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Wendy, I used to give Shoes butter before he was diabetic. Is it really still possible to give it? If so, how much?

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I give about 1/8th of tsp as a treat. She demands her cut whenever I get the butter out for baking.

Critter Mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

When he gets better regulated, I may do this again. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.