? Hairball remedy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liz & IttyBit, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

IttyBit is an aggressive groomer during the shedding seasons and because of his nerve damage he doesn't tolerate brushing very well.
    We try but can only do a very little bit before it bothers him. This combination of over grooming and not being able to brush him, results in frequent hair balls and throwing up. The hairball remedy we were using before is out of the question now as it is full of sugar.
    Any suggestions?

2. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Plain vaseline on the top of the paw. A lot of cats love the taste of vaseline and will lick it off like it's candy. It won't break up existing hairballs but it prevents new ones from forming and allows the easy passage of excess hair.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Vaseline works if your cat will lick it off your fingers. Mu Dulce like it. I have some is a container that I smear a thin coat before pricking their ears. If I leave it out Dulce will lick it all

Liz & IttyBit and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A small dab of coconut oil is one option that has been mentioned a few times.

Liz & IttyBit and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  5. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Petrolatum works because it's a large molecule and is said it isn't absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract, thus it stays in the tract until in comes out in feces. Isn't coconut oil absorbed?

6. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Have you tried a "cat hair glove"? Instead of a brush?

Liz & IttyBit likes this.
  7. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Thanks all!
    He loves coconut oil! He's terribly allergic to flea bites and when we developed a bit of a flea problem this fall, we used it to heal his skin up.
    I couldn't believe how fast it worked.
    I will try the Vaseline now to get rid of the hairball he's working on and then use a bit of coconut oil on a regular basis as a preventative.
    The combo sounds like a winner.

Unfortunately with his nerve damage even petting/touching him further back than the shoulder blades is uncomfortable for him.

Ken & Tara likes this.
  8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

consider trimming his hair short?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.