Haley' Comet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hales + Comet, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

My name is Haley and my little (big) guy is Comet. I've had him since he was a few weeks old as a foster and ended up adopting him. He is 10 now and 3 days ago I found out that he is diabetic. We went in on Monday because he stopped eating and this was the last thing I was expecting.

I'm sure there is never a good time to find this out but it has been especially difficult as I just broke my foot and am currently only 1 month away from finishing my bachelor's degree. Financially this week alone has been a huge struggle and I am doing everything I can to prepare for the upcoming bills I know I will have. Emotionally this last week has been a rollercoaster and I don't have a very strong support group at college, unfortunately.

He is currently on 2 Units of Lantus but things aren't going so great as he still won't eat or drink so we will see how long that lasts. I'm so out of my depth here but hoping we will adjust to our new normal.

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Haley and Comet! Sorry about your foot, but you’ve come to the right place for support for both you and sweet Comet. Has he not eaten since Monday? Did your vet give you any anti nausea meds, appetite stimulants? Any more than 3 days without food can get very serious for a cat. Also it’s important to check him for ketones. You can get test strips at any pharmacy.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's unusual for a diabetic to not eat unless there's something else happening. My biggest concern is had he developed ketones? Ketoacidosis is very dangerous. You can test the ketones with a ketone blood meter (works the same as your blood glucose meter), or you can buy ketone strips at the pharmacy that get dipped in pee $10 for about 100.

My other concern is pancreatitis.... It's he acting like he's in pain or nauseous?

The cost of insulin and supplies at the vet is a lot. We can help you with where to buy supplies to save money.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

Don't let him go 24 hours withought eating... He'll be more likely to develop ketones and fatty liver. If you need to, water down pate foods and put into a feeding syringe and assist feed.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

he got an appetite stimulant on Friday and ate that night and last night I finally got him to eat something but we are back to where we started this morning with him not eating

6. JanetNJ

Try any food he likes... Will he eat tuna? Deli meats? Fresh chicken?

7. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

He loves tuna I will go ahead and give that a try thank you

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

Good... When they are off food is more important that they eat something rather than worry about what it is.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.