Happy update on Mom's cat Francis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hey! Just a happy update on Francis. His story is unbelievable to me! He was in horrid shape a few months ago. Hyper-t and BG #'s off the charts - over 500. He was on 3.5 units of PZI BID for about 4-5 months and his numbers were either high or all over the place. He also had a bladder infection for a few weeks. I felt bad for both of them.

She's also had bad experiences with the last two vets she's gone to. One wouldn't give her Lantus no matter what. The second gave her the Lantus after selling her about $700 worth of food and a cat-specific monitor and strips (that was over $300) when she already had a monitor and strips (ReliOn) which she liked.

Mom doesn't have internet access so I've been helping her by giving her the info I've learned here. I've mailed her the stickies about food (she switched his food to LCW) insulin (she switched to Lantus) hypos (she's had several and is now a pro).

The latest is Francis is on .25 units BID and she mentioned to me that he's been as low as 42 three times in the last week! I told her that calls for a dose reduction!!! After getting dosing help from the Lantus board she's going to try 1 drop BID next. Then he may be OTJ!

She's done this all on her own with me being the go between from her to this board. What a story, huh???? :mrgreen:

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Way to go Mom and Francis and Traci!!!

3. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Even going from .25u down to a drop bid must be a burden off her mind :mrgreen:

4. Traci and Boomer

It really is amazing. It'll be interesting trying to draw up one drop! :lol:

He's down to 55 tonight at +3 so she may have a long night. She shot before we talked. Poor mom, another hypo situation. A tleast she knows how to deal with hypos.

5. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

You can't really have a serious hypo on 0.25u Lantus, so just feed and watch.

This is a fantastic story, and I hope she knows how many people have been pulling for her and Francis!!

6. Traci and Boomer

Oh, believe me, she knows how many people have helped her and pulled for her during the times she needed help. She still can't believe it. We were both very lucky to have found such an amazing resource for our fur-sons! ;-)

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That is awesome Traci, & thanks for the update!!! Please send all our good wishes for continued progress to your mom & Francis.

8. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

When I had to microdose Misty, I went to the pharmacy and got myself a pair of reading glasses, it made it easier to see the really small drop.

9. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I am very happy for your mom and Francis and good for you for being a great go between and helping them both to happier lives.

Shame on the Vet for shafting your mom.

10. Traci and Boomer

Mom's gonna go back to her first vet (nice but not up to date with diabetes) and show her the spreadsheet and tell her about her success with Lantus. Maybe she can convert her vet. The second vet (very bossy and "know it all" and made her get the expensive food and monitor, but would let her have Lantus) she's going to stop seeing. Like others have pointed out, the Alpha Track pet monitor is probably a fine product, but in the case of my Mom, she told the vet she couldn't afford it and that she LIKED her "regular" monitor. Mom couldn't keep Francis still while using the Alpha and had trouble using it; whereas she was able to have quicker results with the ReliOn. So...I'm not trashing the pet meter, I'm just saying that Mom's experience wasn't good. She's still trying to get her money back for the strips and meter from the company.

I'll let you know what happens with Francis's "fat zero" dose. I hope to have Boomer on a fat zero someday soon!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.