? Having a hard time getting dosage right

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carina Josefine, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

My Kitty was diagnosed with a lung infection and slight pancreatitis, and put on Baytril (the flavored kind), on Monday. Ever since she got ill, I'm having such a hard time regulating her insulin.

I know both infection and stress can raise the bg, but how long will it sit in the body?

She has been eating mainly wet food (syringe fed) but I have left dry out for her (we have been in a "anything to get her eating mode".

Will someone please have a look? Vet suggested an increase to 1.5, but we increased 1.25, as last time we tried 1.5 she dropped too low too to keep it up I felt (you'll see it on the chart).

She was on so little before she got ill, could she be getting too much ?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You need to hold the dose for at least 6 cycles....changing the dose as often as you have been doesn't allow the depot to stabilize and release the correct amount, so you get wonky numbers.

I understand why you added the dry back into her diet, but that's going to make her numbers go up too.

Hopefully when she's feeling better, her numbers will start to come down and she'll start earning some reductions!

3. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

I understand. It's so difficult, and I'm still inclined to listen to the vet when it comes to changing dosage, but I probably shouldn't

So this 1.25 u dose for 6 cycles? Or back to 1u and stick to it ?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since you've gotten 3 doses at 1.25, I'd just stick with that for at least another 3 cycles unless she drops below 50 (for Tight Regulation) or below 90 (for Start Low, Go Slow)

Have you read both dosing methods and decided which one you want to follow?

5. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Yes I have read both of them a few times. I wanted to go for the TR method. We barely got started before all this hit! I tried to stay steady on 1 unit, nad did for a while, except for when the vet told us to up it till 1,5 and threw us off for two cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.