Health issues with cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zappnickel, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zappnickel

Zappnickel New Member

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum, so bare with me. I have a 9 year old female cat who was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago roughly. She was placed on ProZinc and initially had been given 2ml twice a day. She was put on a strict diet, being fed only twice a day. She gets Meowmix dry cat food in the morning and one can of Fancy Feast at night. In August, she went into remission which I was very happy about. That unfortunately didn't last long as I went to stay with my parents and my mother didn't stick to her diet. She was placed back on ProZinc. First it was 1ml once a day, but since it had no affect the vet had me give it to her twice a day 1ml. I saw she wasn't responding to the 1ml twice a day and so decided to increase it to 2ml twice day. Well, she wasn't responding to that either so I of course took her back to the vet and had a glucose curve test. The vet had me increase it to 3ml twice a way and bring her back for another glucose curve test. So I did and brought her back. Turns out her levels are still high in the 400s but lower than it was last week. We had a urine culture test done today and I am waiting for the results. Problem is my cat is having extreme issues with incontinence. She's been peeing on the couch and sometimes the floor. Today, she barely moved from where she was laying on my bed and peed. She's also been walking abnormally; favoring her back left leg. This began when we increased the dose to 3ml.

This is obviously not normal and I'm hoping to get some advice. I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow and let them know whats going on but I want to see if someone else has had this issue. I'm afraid there's something more serious than diabetes going on but I'm at a point where anymore vet visits and I'm close to going bankrupt. Any help, advise or information would be greatly appreciated.

Zapp

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Are you home testing? If not, I recommend that you start as its the best way to see what’s really going on with your kitty’s blood glucose. It’s easy to do and we’ll help you. As for diet, the dry food you are feeding is extremely high in carbs and is likely at least part of the reason you’re having trouble getting her bg down. A low carb wet food is the best thing to feed. If you change her food though be sure to be home testing first as it could drop her bg significantly and you can risk a hypoglycemic event. As you went up in dose fairly quickly, I would suggest dropping the dose when you switch foods. Now the incontinence may be caused by a UTI or even the uncontrolled diabetes, the results of the culture will tell you for sure. The hind leg weakness may be the beginning of neuropathy which will clear up when you get the glucose under control, but some methyl B12 can help speed things up. Most of us use Zobaline for diabetic cats. Here are some links to get you started. Please ask any questions you have
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

https://www.amazon.com/d/Multivitamins-Prenatal-Vitamins/ZobalineTM-Diabetic-Cats-60-tabs/B008G3LI2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542282134&sr=8-1&keywords=zobaline for cats

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Hopefully you mean 2 units. 2 ml of Prozinc would be 80 units of insulin.

4. Zappnickel

Zappnickel New Member

Thank you for the information! I haven't been home testing because she's not the nicest and agreeable cat, so the home testing will be impossible. I've fed her dry food as it's been advised it helps with healthy dental hygiene. But, if it doesn't affect her teeth and guns I can give her wet food only.

5. Sharon14

If you switch from dry food to all wet, you need to be very careful as the switch could lower her blood glucose significantly and you’ll risk hypoglycemia. Testing is the best way to avoid this. If you tell us more about your kitty we can try to help you learn to test her. We have many here that have had difficult kitties and maybe they will have some suggestions.

6. Zappnickel

Zappnickel New Member

She's very skittish. She doesn't like to be grabbed, manhandled, pet more than she wants, etc. She likes to hide under the bed so getting her for tests is going to be hard. If I do get a hold of her, she doesn't stay still and will squirm and fight until she's released. I just visited the vet this morning and had MORE tests done. She had me change her insulin to Lantus 1 unit twice a day and actually recommended I test her at home so I don't have to pay for a blood glucose curve test every week at the vet (which was nice of them). Not sure how this is going to go with only me to do it, but I guess I'll figure something out. Getting it done 4 times in a day would take a lot of work though. Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated it!!

(Sorry for the late response, been super stressed and busy with work, the sick cat, and my parents medical issues :) )

7. Sharon14

Here is some testing info
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    I would start by choosing a spot that will be your testing spot. Take her there several times a day, pet her, rub her ear, give her a treat and let her go. It sounds silly, but try singing softly as you do this, it really helps to relax you. As you both start to relax, you can increase the time and the ear rubs. Be sure to get a meter that takes the smallest amount of blood and know how to use it before you try to test. Also be sure you have a larger gauge lancet (26-28 gauge) and be sure to warm her ear well. Some use a rice sock warmed in the microwave for this. If you do, be sure she’s used to that too. Read the info in the link, watch the videos, and come back and ask any questions you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.